Rules on threads based on blog posts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaWithTurk

Bubble Blowing Buddha
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
As someone who just started a new scuba site, which at this time is basically a blog, I was wondering what the rules were as it relates to me sharing the pieces I have written.

I would rather ask than to post and find out I broke a rule and I could not find a sticky on this subject but thought I had see rules relating to this somewhere.

There are no formal rules, however, you might be interested in some guidelines that will help you attract users here and on your blog...
  • Start a dedicated thread for your blog in an appropriate area
    • Give it a fun title
    • Put the thread link or your URL in your signature. (You've done the latter already: Good Job!)
    • Keep posting... keep posting.
  • Your first post should be the entire blog entry
    • Users hate to follow a link they just don't trust.
    • Your content will be more easily found here anyway
  • Subsequent posts can be excerpts and if you've won them over with the first post, you'll do fine. If not, you'll do better just posting the entire contents here with a link to the original
    • Users hate to follow a link they don't trust
  • You can share the content you post here directly onto Facebook, Twitter etc
    • We have SEO and they don't
    • Google is King when searching for content. It's GTS (Google that Sh*t) and not FTS
  • Be sure to set your keywords for every post
  • Be gentle with users and their questions
    • Never get defensive or fight back
    • Use the report post feature if they are derailing your thread or being obnoxious
  • Always, always, always keep it fun, fun, fun
    • Controversy attracts eyes, but don't troll
    • Outrageousness attracts eyes, but don't offend
    • Youtube embeds attract eyes
    • Great pics attract eyes
  • Stay on topic

Caveat: If you don't have a storefront, ScubaBoard.com might be a better venue for your blog for several reasons
  • SEO, SEO, SEO
    • When people GTS, we come up more often than any other Scuba entity.
    • Your chances of being 'found' are obviously greater here than on your own URL.
  • Everything is already set up for you here
    • We are the CMS easy button
  • We already know how to defeat the fidiot bots, scammers, and trolls.

There are no formal rules, however, you might be interested in some guidelines that will help you attract users here and on your blog...
  • Start a dedicated thread for your blog in an appropriate area
    • Give it a fun title
    • Put the thread link or your URL in your signature. (You've done the latter already: Good Job!)
  • Your first post should be the entire blog entry
    • Users hate to follow a link they just don't trust.
  • Subsequent posts can be excerpts and if you've won them over with the first post, you'll do fine. If not, you'll do better just posting the entire contents here with a link to the original
    • Users hate to follow a link they don't trust
  • You can share the content you post here directly onto Facebook, Twitter etc
    • We have SEO and they don't
    • Google is King when searching for content. It's GTS (Google that Sh*t) and not FTS
  • Be sure to set your keywords for every post
  • Be gentle with users and their questions
    • Never get defensive or fight back
    • Use the report post feature if they are derailing your thread or being obnoxious
  • Always, always, always keep it fun, fun, fun
    • Controversy attracts eyes, but don't troll
    • Outrageousness attracts eyes, but don't offend
    • Youtube embeds attract eyes
    • Great pics attract eyes
  • Stay on topic
Thank you for the great suggestions. I think the hard part will be to find the “appropriate area” as none seem to be quite right. I will give it some more thought before I decide on an area.

Thank you for the great suggestions. I think the hard part will be to find the “appropriate area” as none seem to be quite right. I will give it some more thought before I decide on an area.
Ask your friendly neighborhood mod. They were chosen because they want to help others: not to be the SB police.

BTW, since you read it, I added one line to the first bullet point: Keep posting, keep posting. The more you post, the more you'll get noticed. Don't be afraid to mention your thread if the discussion merits it. I have several that I've started, some I've been faithful to (I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!) and some I need to rekindle as my quest continues (My Cave Diving blog... On my way to the Abe Davis Award.)

Ask your friendly neighborhood mod. They were chosen because they want to help others: not to be the SB police.

BTW, since you read it, I added one line to the first bullet point: Keep posting, keep posting. The more you post, the more you'll get noticed. Don't be afraid to mention your thread if the discussion merits it. I have several that I've started, some I've been faithful to (I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!) and some I need to rekindle as my quest continues (My Cave Diving blog... On my way to the Abe Davis Award.)

I will do just that but said mod has been flying a lot so his arms are tired.

I should have been posting more but took a sabbatical when SB was blocked at work and then was unable to dive for a few months. It was hard to come here and read about diving when I couldn’t get in the water. But I have been lurking and will post more!

For now I think I may post a piece in the SB article area and then work to find the right area for a single thread for all my blog posts.

Oh I never think of mods as SB police. I have good experiences and I know if I happen to get out of line I will be gently prodded back into place. To date everyone associated with SB has been nothing but kind and helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom