Running guideline in sand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHound

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
No idea where to post this so starting here since tech divers (cave, wreck) often run line.

I want to run a guideline from near shore about 200-300 yards to a reef.

Starting depth 25' so not usually subject to much surge or wave action. It doesn't have to survive a tropical storm.

Sand is fairly loose but mostly covered in sand grasses so they can anchor in it.

My main question is what kind of anchors to use? Needs to be cheap and easy. The big sand anchors used for beach umbrellas are probably overkill. The ground anchors I've looked at seemed designed for more compacted soil and might not hold in sand. An Amazon search for "ground anchor" shows most of what I have looked at.

Also what length preferred for each segment? The fewer segments, the less anchors required.

mmm........you could try the dog leash screws..........also, instead of line would Caution tape be better? Easier to see in sand/grass. Or use cinder blocks for anchors. Segments will depend on the topography itself but probably 30-40 yards?

Small diameter pvc pipe with a slit cut into it to secure the
line to.

@ReefHound

the stakes that Jim mentioned work, the other is you could look at is to use 2lb weights with a quick link or something on it and just rest those on the sand so they can move a bit if they have to, but unlike a normal stake, if they move, they won't pop out

Seems like the pvc pipe would have to be set pretty deep to hold in sand. Or be fitted with some kinds of blades or fins. The weight idea is interesting. No can do on cinder blocks.

Topography is flat, gradual slope from 25' to 40' over the 200-300 yards. Not too worried about visibility but a piece of reflective tape tied to the line at intervals might be helpful.

Seems like the pvc pipe would have to be set pretty deep to hold in sand

Definitely Deep, 6 inches.

Lead weight, quick link sounds better.

Seems like the pvc pipe would have to be set pretty deep to hold in sand. Or be fitted with some kinds of blades or fins. The weight idea is interesting. No can do on cinder blocks.

Topography is flat, gradual slope from 25' to 40' over the 200-300 yards. Not too worried about visibility but a piece of reflective tape tied to the line at intervals might be helpful.

why no cinderblocks? Could you coat them with some marine epoxy or something and start an artificial reef on them or is that against whatever FWC says?

Silt stakes.

2' section of 1" pvc pipe with a notch cut halfway into the pipe about 2" from the end.

Drive the non-notched end into the ground as far as you can and tie your guideline to it so the notch catches the line and keep it from slipping off the stake.

Used fairly commonly in cave exploration.

Use the fewest amount needed to accomplish your mission.

why no cinderblocks? Could you coat them with some marine epoxy or something and start an artificial reef on them or is that against whatever FWC says?

Because this is a remote destination I fly to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom