Running the boat over my head after back roll.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well then something like what happened to the OP might happen to you.

I don't wanna bob at the top of the water under the boat, extremely dangerous.

Air in the BC when you back-roll is a big no no where I come from.

The OP has over 2500 dives. You are trying to correlate air in bcd on a backroll to likely dying in a prop. No one should take that as truth.

standard procedure for diving is air in bcd before backroll and before giant step. Your disagreeing with this makes it seem nice or ok to do regularly and it is NOT.

In fact with air in bcd its pretty much impossible to rip the top of your head open on a prop and the boat might actually push you if it turned sideways if you are bobbing on surface.

If you do a negative entry and boat immediately takes off and or turns you will be very likely to be hit in the head by that prop. Your method is more likely to kill you in your scenario upon immediately backrolling and boat immediately gunning it.

Sorry to hear this accident. Hopefully you are recovering soon.

In this kind of boat-dive entry, wouldn’t it be better to do a giant stride entry?
Giant stride works off bigger boats. It's not possible in small boats.

Well, maybe if you try to step and somehow balance on the board that must not be named. (Not taking any chances on spelling out the g-word.).

The OP has over 2500 dives. You are trying to correlate air in bcd on a backroll to likely dying in a prop. No one should take that as truth.

standard procedure for diving is air in bcd before backroll and before giant step. Your disagreeing with this makes it seem nice or ok to do regularly and it is NOT.

In fact with air in bcd its pretty much impossible to rip the top of your head open on a prop and the boat might actually push you if it turned sideways if you are bobbing on surface.

If you do a negative entry and boat immediately takes off and or turns you will be very likely to be hit in the head by that prop. Your method is more likely to kill you in your scenario upon immediately backrolling and boat immediately gunning it.

That is all a bit over the top.

"standard procedure" is based on the specifics for a specific dive. I have been many places that have requested/recommended/dictated that divers do a negative entry.

if a diver does a negative entry and hovers just below the surface then they are ignorant. If a boat operator takes off immediately and does not wait to see that the bubbles are leading away from the boat then they are ignorant.

The boat operator should brief what their signal is for divers in the water to be aware of prior to engaging the prop and they should perform that signal and to precaustions to avoid the possibility, as much as possible, of a prop strike.

your statement that a boat will more likely push a diver out of the way is just not based in reality. With a RHIB, the likely hood is that the diver will be below the sponson (inflatable portion of the boat) and if the boat is moving forward relative to the dive they will find themself astern of the boat....this is true for most boat hulls. the likely hood is that the boat will continue to slide past the diver but it is possible, if the boat is moving slowly that the diver and the boat align sternwards and a prop strike happens.

The onus is on the boat operator to ensure they are operating the boat safely. They must ensure the area is clear before engaging the prop.

-Z

That is all a bit over the top.

"standard procedure" is based on the specifics for a specific dive. I have been many places that have requested/recommended/dictated that divers do a negative entry.

if a diver does a negative entry and hovers just below the surface then they are ignorant. If a boat operator takes off immediately and does not wait to see that the bubbles are leading away from the boat then they are ignorant.

The boat operator should brief what their signal is for divers in the water to be aware of prior to engaging the prop and they should perform that signal and to precaustions to avoid the possibility, as much as possible, of a prop strike.

your statement that a boat will more likely push a diver out of the way is just not based in reality. With a RHIB, the likely hood is that the diver will be below the sponson (inflatable portion of the boat) and if the boat is moving forward relative to the dive they will find themself astern of the boat....this is true for most boat hulls. the likely hood is that the boat will continue to slide past the diver but it is possible, if the boat is moving slowly that the diver and the boat align sternwards and a prop strike happens.

The onus is on the boat operator to ensure they are operating the boat safely. They must ensure the area is clear before engaging the prop.

-Z

before you reply to me you should read all my previous replies. my reply was not over the top. only in that it was making a point about the absurdity i had to reply to.

i stated already in regards to negative entry

also getting run over by a prop accidentally is almost nil.

i understand dynamics of boats and being pushed out of the way.

please show me how a prop spinning a few feet under water will hit you on top of your head when you are positively boyant on the surface.

the entire pushing was if it spun sideways again about almost zero chance of that ever happening. but its more likely to happen than lungs shrinking........ many things on this site are stated as fact. my point is that your average diver shouldnt do negative entries as standard practice.

but this is possibly getting off topic and in conjunction with multiple "over the top" statements i was replying to really has no bearing on the OP injury and likelyhood it may have been deliberate or at least completely negligent by the boat operator.

before you reply to me you should read all my previous replies. my reply was not over the top. only in that it was making a point about the absurdity i had to reply to.

please show me how a prop spinning a few feet under water will hit you on top of your head when you are positively boyant on the surface.

the entire pushing was if it spun sideways again about almost zero chance of that ever happening. but its more likely to happen than lungs shrinking........ many things on this site are stated as fact. my point is that your average diver shouldnt do negative entries as standard practice.

but this is possibly getting off topic and in conjunction with multiple "over the top" statements i was replying to really has no bearing on the OP injury and likelyhood it may have been deliberate or at least completely negligent by the boat operator.

The recommendation is for the diver to roll over in a negative condition. That is correct; it doesn;t matter what some book says.

Being negative does not necessarily mean that you are going to sink uncontrollably. If you are negative and have the tank off, then swim up. After you are a safe distance from the boat.

The boat can cause very significant injury with the prop stopped. It is like getting hit with the back side of a machete. You come up, head first under a prop in rough water and you can easily have your skull split. The diver is much, much safer 10 feet down and sinking or adding a little air if they don't want to sink.

What you fail to understand (apparently) is that if the boat is stopped, the engine is off and someone does a back roll, and then screws up a little and then spins around they can pop up uncontrollably, under the boat and into the prop. all it takes is for the wind to be blowing the boat sideways and the diver rolls on the leeward side, instantly the boat is on top of them. This is a real and significant danger.

Ideally, the boat should be moving forward (straight ahead) when a back roll is performed and the divers in the rear of the boat roll first and then the next most forward diver rolls. The boat's forward motion helps to eliminate the potential for accidents. Of course the engine should be out of gear, but even if the boat is IN GEAR, if the boat is moving straight forward and the diver does a decent roll and goes straight down, there is little (essentially zero) chance for an impact between the boat and diver.

I know exactly that you were responding curtly to another poster. That is what I was referring to with you being a bit "over the top" On other posts that poster's statements were wildly discussed/debated and one got the sense they were trolling but from what I read on this thread what that poster wrote was legit...your post on the other hand was reactionary and came across as you trying to " put them in their place" /intimidate them. I didn't want come across as attacking you on this issue so I discussed the validity of what you wrote instead.

-Z

The recommendation is for the diver to roll over in a negative condition. That is correct; it doesn;t matter what some book says.
I'm reading that best practice for a backroll entry is negative (no air in BCD). Am I reading you correctly?

I have done very few backroll entries relatively, but they have always been positive. Generally they were of the "enter, meet at the chain, descend" type. They were a couple of decades ago though. Have things changed?

I'm reading that best practice for a backroll entry is negative (no air in BCD). Am I reading you correctly?

I have done very few backroll entries relatively, but they have always been positive. Generally they were of the "enter, meet at the chain, descend" type. They were a couple of decades ago though. Have things changed?
Not to my knowledge. I've done perhaps 100 backroll entries, some anchored, some not. Always positive, and never come close to being under the hull.

I back roll entry from RIB or skiff quite a few times. For a positive entry, I used to make a complete 360 degree roll, pop my head back up a few feet from the boat, fin away from the boat and wait for the rest of the group & guide to signal ready for descent before letting the air out of my BCD. After reading this incident, I think I won't do that 360 degree roll any more. I would just land on my back with fins up in the air and keep my feet pointing toward the boat at all time. So if the boat move forward or the current push my body towards the back of the boat, my fins would be closest to the propeller instead of my head. If the boat is trying to run me over, I can plant my feet on the side of the boat and push myself away from the boat.

Reactions: Zef
So we're about to go diving which is down, and jump in inflated, which is up
and then idiotic messing around with an OK signal to satisfy crew on a boat
who for the next hour have no idea where you are or if you are coming back

Violently arresting motion and putting unnecessary stress on your sack of air
once upon a time someone thought this was great and divers can only mimic
the industry once again is crippling divers minds with inexplicable dumbness

prolonging the stay on the surface the most dangerous place during the dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom