Rusting SS knife n Ti shears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

napDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have titanium shears that are rusting pretty bad. And a stainless steel knife that's starting to rust.

I probably do a bad job of rising them these last few months. Anyway to get rid of the rust? I tend to replace the shears every 1-2 years.

Ty

I always just replace when necessary. For shears, I use whatever is cheapest, as they only need to last a couple years. Here's some shears for $7 or $12 for two. https://www.amazon.com/Ever-Ready-Titanium-Bandage-Tactical/dp/B01AS7P8KG

I stopped using a knife and switched to a trilobyte type cutter initially. When my trilobyte rusted up I replaced it with a trilobyte knock-off that has a ceramic blade for 18 bucks: DGX Sharp Cut w/Sheath

buy cheaper shears and replace

getting rid of it requires steel wool essentially

That makes sense. I'll clean up my knife with steel wool. And just toss these shears.
I always just replace when necessary. For shears, I use whatever is cheapest, as they only need to last a couple years. Here's some shears for $7 or $12 for two. https://www.amazon.com/Ever-Ready-Titanium-Bandage-Tactical/dp/B01AS7P8KG

I stopped using a knife and switched to a trilobyte type cutter initially. When my trilobyte rusted up I replaced it with a trilobyte knock-off that has a ceramic blade for 18 bucks: DGX Sharp Cut w/Sheath

I also have the dgx line cutter under my perdix. Thanks for the link on the shears. I guess I'll keep tossing them.

Are the shears titanium? Or titanium coated steel?

Titanium on its own won't rust.

I scrub off any rust with a scotch brite pad and apply a thin layer of silicon grease before putting anything away, I rinse pretty diligently so I don't usually have much significant rust

Are the shears titanium? Or titanium coated steel?

Titanium on its own won't rust.

I scrub off any rust with a scotch brite pad and apply a thin layer of silicon grease before putting anything away, I rinse pretty diligently so I don't usually have much significant rust

To be honest I dont know. I'm guessing they are coated since they seem to be rusting near the plastic handle and pivot point. I'll give the scotch brite a try! Cheers

Stainless steel needs to be chemically treated to avoid rusting, especially after machining.
There are some phosphatizer commercial products that can be used.

Stainless steel needs to be chemically treated to avoid rusting, especially after machining.
There are some phosphatizer commercial products that can be used.

Passivation. Can be done with phosphoric acid aka naval jelly. Can buy at Lowe’s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom