RX-100 or NEX5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pongo1998

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for a descent camera that I can grow with, can anyone tell me what would be the pros and cons to either camera? They are about the same money but it
seems with the NEX5 I can interchange lenses and the RX100 I can not.

The money for the camera itself is just a start, a drop in the bucket maybe. Your budget may well end up making the decision for you.

Price a housing for the RX100. Then price housing + port + etc for the Nex5. The difference here may be pretty significant. The Nex has a much larger sensor and interchangeable lenses, both benefits which cost a good bit more to put underwater vs the RX100.

Approximates:
Rx100 + nauticam housing = $1600
Nex5 w/18-55 kit lens + nauticam housing + port + zoom gear = $2600

Then you still need tray, arms, handle, strobe, cables, etc.

I am looking for a descent camera that I can grow with, can anyone tell me what would be the pros and cons to either camera? They are about the same money but it
seems with the NEX5 I can interchange lenses and the RX100 I can not.

Definitley go the NEX5N to grow in to. I have the NEX7 and love it and hopefully more lenses arriving soon

agree with alien...more room to grow the system with NEX but if money is a factor, the RX100 is a very good option. I will concede that I miss the RX100...I may have to reacquire one.

Keep in mind that with the rx100 you can carry it in your pocket on the surface.
yes but be careful with lint/dust getting to the sensor. probably better just to keep it in a case and avoid pockets if able.

I'm sorry I should clarify that we already have a full blown camera with strobes and video lights. She has a nex7. This would be a secondary camera system for me to use.

The NEX5 is a compact system camera while the RX100 is a compact with a fixed lens
Both set up are great in their category and there is obviously a difference of cost and flexibility.
I think you need first to determine if you want to have one lens for the dive or you like the flexibility of using wet lenses. In terms of quality the NEX5 is superior however the set up is more cumbersome and less flexible.
Both will grow with you, the RX100 offers phenomenal options for wet lenses as it supports pretty much all wide angles like the Inon UWL-100 or the UFL165 fisheye that you can find second hand at bargain and are incredible quality
Once you are in water the RX100 will require many lens changes so if you opt for this model make sure you buy bayonet mount wet lenses

Thanks for your help, I have a lot to think about.

Back
Top Bottom