RX100 RAW support for Lightroom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RVBldr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It appears that Lightroom v4.x is supporting native RAW support for the RX100, but do you have to upgrade to get the codex for that camera? I'm running v3.6 and it appears that I may need to run a full version upgrade to get RAW support for the camera. I don't have CSx so Adobe doesn't seem to let me install Camera RAW 7, which is basically the Lightroom equivalent for Studio.

While it's not native support for the camera, DNG works well.
You can download the Adobe DNG converter which will make RAW DNG files from your camera specific files.

I have been doing this for a while, and I archive only the DNG files to make sure I don't have to find specific camera software in the future.

I had to upgrade from 3.X to 4.X when I was using the RX100....but maybe I was doing something wrong (meaning: not smart enough to realize I might not have needed to do it).

I'll give the Adobe DNG converter a try and see how that works. I hate to spend the $$$ on the upgrade just for the one small feature set!

I have tried the DNG converter in the past. The files were smaller than the original raw. Not sure if adobe had a cunning compression but I think it was still lossy
The other point is: are those Raw importers from Lightroom optimised for the specific camera? The rx100 tends to crush blacks and has very high contrast as default however the sharpness is not actually that high
I have the impression that Lightroom applies the same defaults regardless of the camera specifics but may be wrong

Hi RVBldr,

Let us know how you get on with DNG, the current version (7.2) supports the RX100 so any future versions will as well.

You can check the Wiki Digital Negative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia if you want to get technical!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom