S&S YS-01 vs S&S YS-02

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rajohn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently lost my Canon G10 on a night dive in Cozumel (I know, I know, stupid, stupid). I have replaced it with a Canon G11 and the Canon housing. I always wanted a strobe setup for the G10 but fortunately had not purchased it yet. In searching the forums here I ran across several recommendations for the Inon D2000 and the S&S YS-01. I was leaning toward the YS-01 and started researching prices and arms, etc. I checked out the website for OpticalOceanSales.com and ran across the listing for the new S&S YS-02. It seems to have nearly the same specs except for the following "Exposure control: DS-TTL, TTL". The YS-02 does not list this feature that the YS-01 lists. How important is this and should I pay the extra $100 or so for it? I am also confused as to the use of the optical cable needed to fire the strobe. Some posters mention the difficulty of getting it placed just right to insure firing every time. Other posters either praise or discount the led aiming light some strobes have. Some say they are necessary and some say they are not necessary as you don't point the strobe light directly at the subject anyway. I apologize if there is already a post about the YS-02 but I couldn't find one using the search feature. Any comments would be appreciated.

I have the YS-01, and love it ! The focus light is used sometimes, handy to have. Otherwise, you are correct in that it is not always aimed at the subject. The YS-02 is strictly manual, whereas the YS-01 features the DS-TTL, or "Auto". I've got it on TTL all the time, and work my shutter speed, ISO, and aperture for great results. Dare I say, the DS-TTL almost makes shooting "knucklehead proof". My 2 cents, drop the extra $100 and get YS-01. You will also see a lot of favorable opinions for the Inon D2000 & S2000, as well. While I have never used the S2000, it does seem like a great little strobe.

I've got a few questions about the Sea & Sea strobes discussed above.

DS-TTL question. I currently have an A570 Canon with a Canon housing and will be getting an Olympus XZ-1 in October. I am about to order some light. Can the DS-TTL be used with either of the above housings? Canon and Oly?

Second question - If I get a YS-01 and a YS-02 would that be a good combo? I figured I could save a few dollars by getting one YS-02 as I only need one guide light or would i be better off with two YS-01s?

Thanks for any help...sorry if this has already been asked, I just want to get it right before I put my order in.

For your system I would recommend either the YS01 or the Inon S2000. Both do excellent ttl (and manual) and TTL is mostly extremely handy. Getting the fiber optic cable to work with the Canon housing is not terribly difficult. I would strongly recommend getting the
Xit 404 Canon WP-DC34 (G11 & G12) Fiber Optic Cable Mount for the housing. Makes life terribly simple.
DSTTL is an emulation of your cameras TTL function, so if the camera does TTL so will either the S&S or the Inon. If I were getting two, I would get them the same but the YS02 can be used in slave mode as a fill type flash if you want.

Bill

DSTTL is an emulation of your cameras TTL function, so if the camera does TTL so will either the S&S or the Inon. If I were getting two, I would get them the same but the YS02 can be used in slave mode as a fill type flash if you want.

Bill

Thanks Bill,

Does the DSTTL work through the fiber optic cable?

Is there any downside to getting one YS02 and using as a slave?

Jon

Thanks Bill,

Does the DSTTL work through the fiber optic cable?

Is there any downside to getting one YS02 and using as a slave?

Jon

I have two YS01's and have loved using them. The DSTTL works perfectly fine with the fiber optic cable.

So I guess you're pretty sure that the TTL will work with this setup?

I'm going with one strobe for now and I'll add another later.

Wonder if I can get anything for my lightly used 570/housing/inon bayonette/macro lens.

In my experience the TTL feature on the YS-01 is worth the money.

Congrats on the new rig, Ron! The Oly looks really nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom