• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

S&S YS-D2J vs. Inon Z330

Discussion in 'Strobes and Lighting' started by BalekFekete, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Chris Ross

Chris Ross Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    In general for the same camera you need more power for wide angle, but strobe power is directly related to aperture, you might might be using f11- f16 on full frame cameras to get sufficient depth of field. On a TG-6 you are at f2 or f2.8, that is 4 stops less light required, which would land you right about on minimum power if your base exposure was 1/2 power on a full frame camera at f11. You can open up the aperture because depth of field is greater with smaller sensors and in the TG-6 you are quite limited in how much you can close the aperture. The S-2000 and YS-01 are only about 1 stop less powerful than the bigger flashes and you can buy two S-2000 for the price of one Z-330, so the small flashes will also be turned down quite a bit.

2. Dragonsrock

Dragonsrock Angel Fish

Hi Wolfgang,
    My bad! I agree with this statement. I had a previous version of the TG-6 and only ever used it for Macro photography, as such never even considered wide angle. The camera is a great unit and I found it outstanding for macro, hence the comment n the smaller strobes.

David

3. BFRedrocks

BFRedrocks Solo Diver

FWIW, I had a pair of S&S YS-D2s (not the "J" version) and had one completely flood through the unused sync cable port after only 24 dives on it. S&S customer support was less than helpful and the unit was deemed a total loss, so I bought a pair of INON 330s and have been super happy with them. A bit more powerful than the YS-D2 and personally I think the build quality is better. I agree with the comment above about the battery cap and o-ring twisting potential, but I also like that they use a clear cap so you can see if the o-ring is seated or not. Between the two, my experience has been the INONs were better. YMMV.

4. outofofficebrb

outofofficebrb HARRO HUNNAYYY

I'm still cashing in on the luck....I just added 84 dives to the total count with the YS-D2 strobes I bought in August 2017. They now have about 260 dives on them and are still going strong. Mr. OOO got a pair second hand and they are still going.

5. Ardy

Ardy Solo Diver

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I had the same issue and lost a Z240 type 4 after only 10 dives. I also had a SnS cap come off as I had not taken it to the 'click'. Cleaned it out and used if for another 5 years. I bought a SnS D1 to replace the Inon and never had a problem.