S. Wales and N. England in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul M

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I am from Canada and this will be my first visit to the UK. In July I will be visiting good friends a bit north of Manchester (Newchurch) and a little NW of Cardiff (Beddau). None of them are divers.

I will have time for some diving, July 17th while in Newchurch and July 18-20th while in Beddau.
Diving within a 100km radius of these towns would be nice.

My maximum depth to date is 30m (cert to 40m).
I dive dry and will have my own kit along for the trip...renting some lead and cylinders.

What are your recommendations for local dive sites? Both shore diving or a charter is great. (Costs?)
What are the typical conditions, visuals and water temps for your preferred dive sites?

Thank you
Paul

You won't find much of interest in South East Wales, unfortunately, due to the Severn estuary having one of the highest tidal ranges in the world. The resulting high current and poor visibility stops much diving. There are a few local clubs that have ribs, but no/few commercial operators. You'll have a little more luck if you can stretch your range in West Wales and Pembroke; maybe with Brian Dilly (Dive-in2-pembrokeshire) or Dive Boat Charters

I'm not sure of anything in Manchester area. Last time I was up that way the only thing I could find was local BSAC clubs. Others may have more information though.

Thanks.

I drive 520km, round trip, for great diving here at home.
If the west coast of Wales is best then I can be easily persuaded. It looks like Pembrokeshire is just 133km to Beddau where I will be staying.

A bit further West than Newchurch but easy ish to get to on the M65, Chorley BSAC have been really helpful to me and are very active, they might be worth a shout.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom