S110 to G7X upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hsinhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I currently have an S110 + inon s2000, and have been looking at the G7X as a possible upgrade.

I am mostly ok with my results currently but would like to see an improvement in sharpness and definition. Am I going to see a marked improvement with the G7X or would the improvements be marginal?

Couple images from this weekend

151108-xlc2.jpg151108-xlc4.jpg151108-xlc8.jpg151108-xlc14.jpg151108-xlc19.jpg151108-xlc21.jpg151108-xlc24.jpg

I went from the canon s100 with af35 strobe, I upgraded to the canon sl1 and 2 ds51 strobes. I noticed a significant increase in sharpness, color saturation (with the addition of a second strobe). What I've enjoyed most being able to swap the lens and ports, currently I'm shooting a 60mm macro lens. While it is not the g7x, gives you a point of reference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thks for the reply. The SL1 has a APS-C sensor, so larger than the 1" found in the G7X, that would have been quite a jump.

Think i'm not quiet ready to step up to a DSLR and interchangeable lens/ports. Though a friend recently got Olym OMD M5.. and is taking some nice pictures..

hmm, looking at your shots, they are pretty good, but you probably could get better shots with the S110 with better technique. For example, shots #1, 4, 5 and 7, it looks like you are too far away from your subject for your strobes to be effective. For shots #2, 3, and 4, you want to try to get under your subject and shoot up, rather than shooting down on your subject, that way you can isolate your subject better from the background.

Are you shooting in manual mode?

hmm, looking at your shots, they are pretty good, but you probably could get better shots with the S110 with better technique. For example, shots #1, 4, 5 and 7, it looks like you are too far away from your subject for your strobes to be effective. For shots #2, 3, and 4, you want to try to get under your subject and shoot up, rather than shooting down on your subject, that way you can isolate your subject better from the background.

Are you shooting in manual mode?

Thks for the feedback. I know i'm very much a novice and still have a great deal to learn.

I'm not using manual, I mostly shoot Tv mode around 1/125 as Av mode defaults to 1/60 shutter speed which I find slow. If using Av mode around f5.6, ISO 100 and strobe using TTL with fine adjustments of EV if required.

I am not sure I could have gotten much closer, #1, 4, 7 were not cropped #5 only about 20%, I don't have a wide angle lens, I do bump off the fully zoomed out so I am not at the lens limit, though that is likely not necessary. I did have the diffuser on so that would have lost a stop, and the s2000 is likely only able to provide some fill in wide angle photos.

The thing I am most looking for is sharpness/clarity in the images, i'm just not sure what to adjust to achieve this, I don't really get this in closer marco type stuff either. Some of the other divers I know seem to pop out much clearer/sharper images but they use higher end rigs (rx200, omd m5, canon d7) so I was wondering how much of it is related to the rig and larger better sensor/lens or how much related to technique.. with christmas coming up I was thinking of treating myself to an upgrade :)

learn to shoot in manual mode...practice practice practice... practice topside with your camera in your housing till you know how to use it without even thinking.
I use a s-95 and know it by heart. If I'm shooting stills and something comes by I can switch to video without thinking...use your custom preset mode to set up your macro presets... I use my s-2000 in manual also as I really like to control exposure myself... when shooting macro I use at least 1/250 shutter and get more good shots that way.
Many people think if they buy a more expensive camera that their poor shots will improve, last year my roommate on a Komodo liveaboard had a dslr with all the bells and whistles about the second to last day he looked at my photos and said hell how come yours are so much better than mine, I found out he was shooting in full auto, he changed a few simple things and then he said "crap now all my previous photos are crap I almost wish you never helped me".
My point is if you can't get some decent photos' with the rig you have buying a new one won't do you any good until you can get good ones with the rig you have.

You have received some pretty good advice here on technique. The only thing I would add is that a good wide angle lens on any point and shoot or compact camera is going to improve your image quality. Reducing the amount of water between you and your subject is the key to better sharpness, contrast and color. A wide angle lens will allow you to get closer to you subject while still having the angle of view to see your entire subject and scene.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom