S600 Plastic Air Barrel to Metal Air Barrel Conversion Procedure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrew Dawson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings,

I have received so much awesome support and info from the folks on this forum, I felt I should at least attempt to capture and give some of it back :)

This post is about converting a Gen 1, 2, or 3 S600 into an S600 with the "guts" of a 4th Gen S600. This includes the metal air barrel and may include the adjustment knob assembly.

S600 Generations:
upload_2017-7-1_20-38-25.png
upload_2017-7-1_20-38-53.png
upload_2017-7-1_20-39-16.png
upload_2017-7-1_20-39-43.png

The conversion consists of this:
Scubapro metal barrrel kit  3.JPG

Now, if you have a Gen 1 S600, like with this knob:
gn1knob.PNG

Then, you will also need to order this Knob Assembly [for Gen 2 and Gen 3]:
20200620_184442.jpg

The conversion is pretty easy and straightforward. You perform a normal annual service, but reassemble with the new parts. Personally, I retained the Gen 2 knob and faceplate...I did not opt to spend the money on those Gen 4 parts. I just wanted the metal air barrel for less chance of cracking on the barrel, less chance of icing up, and less dry mouth. The weight difference is not really something that I noticed unless I was looking for a difference. It is slight.
Pics of the plastic vs metal air barrels:
20200422_182713.jpg 20200620_190859.jpg
Pic of Gen 1 [bottom] vs Gen2/3 [top] air barrel:
20200620_191345.jpg

Any other questions, just post em up. Now, there is a fantastic write up by @DA Aquamaster on the history of the S600 here: Comparing S600 versions

Can you please tell me the barrel conversion kit part number, I can't quite make it out. Thank you.

I can see the individual part #’s but I don’t have the cumulative assembly #, I like the 1-2nd gen covers better than the 3rd 4th gen or the 620, less bling and if you want even less you can put a s555 cover on it. I have a few g500 metal barrels than I may adapt into 600’s but struggling with the necessity as the old plastic barrels have serves me so well and the provide some incredible performance. With the 620 you get a one piece barrel that is configured more along the line of the g260, a better design over all.

if we can get the assembly # before you put in the final order Simon I’ll take one just to try out.

I can see the individual part #’s but I don’t have the cumulative assembly #, I like the 1-2nd gen covers better than the 3rd 4th gen or the 620, less bling and if you want even less you can put a s555 cover on it. I have a few g500 metal barrels than I may adapt into 600’s but struggling with the necessity as the old plastic barrels have serves me so well and the provide some incredible performance. With the 620 you get a one piece barrel that is configured more along the line of the g260, a better design over all.

if we can get the assembly # before you put in the final order Simon I’ll take one just to try out.

I too am trying to get the number for another member who wants to do the conversion. Hopefully we can get it figured out in the next couple of days.

Here is the finished Gen 1 S600...with a Gen 2 knob and face plate:View attachment 593524

Let me search my stuff. Beaver Divers changed my (gen1?) s555 to a metal barreled s600 back a few years ago. I have the old barrel and parts, and it may be in packaging that revealed what he did...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom