S90 + Ikelite housing : First Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Use the Program mode or Av, Auto sucks. One reason the pics are blurred is the flash pops up and I think the default shutter speed is 1/60 which is barely fast enough, if you are steady and the subject is motionless, to get an unblurred pic.

dogdrjohn, it is the lens hoods, or petals, whatever they are. Yes, with a 28mm native lens the magnification ratio the lens was designed for, .405X on a 35mm approx lens, is all screwed up. I have done a bit more testing, the in water FOV, diagonal, that I am getting with minimal vignetting is the full 165 degrees with the camera set at 35mm. If I have to crop it 98% then we are still over 160 degrees FOV. The only other commonly available lens that can get as wide or wider, is the Tokina 10-17 which, alas, is a dSLR DX format lens. However, until I can actually get the 165AD in the water with me actually behind the camera I reserve final judgment, the good news is that the Inon 100WAL with dome is kick as--- wide also over 130 degrees FOV and does not seem to be vignetting. I have had issues with that lens and corners being slightly smeared so again (on a different camera), until I get it in the water and really give it a workout I also choose to refrain from a total shout of success, success! But, they both look good from additional hot tub pics, I just need to get a subject at 3 to 6 feet and then it will be easier to tell what is going on than at 15 inches.

Use your S90 et al P&S in Program for generic party and kiddie pics. Gosh, like Puffer said, many high end range finder and SLRs of just a few years ago only had what is now called Av mode or full manual and we managed and with manual focus. My, my have we become spoiled. I wish they would leave all of that off and give me a more sturdy camera with robust design, knobs and a upgradeable sensor.

I plan to shoot this amazing S90 underwater for several years. But, I am awfully tempted to get a ELP-1 Oly or should I wait for the vaunted Nikon or Canon EVIL that may use my DX Tokina. I have sold my last Nikon F series film camera and my last Leica so I need a travel/hobby camera, one with a neck strap and real lenses.

My S90/FIX is strictly an amphibious/underwater camera for me, much as I used my old Nikonos.

N

Last edited:
1. Fisheye UWL-04 (threaded or ST mount), might work with Ikelite, doubt it with the Canon DC-35, Sea Tool makes a threaded adapter for the ST to 67mm port. (Produces 130 dgree FOV native)

2. Inon UFL-165AD, bayonet mount, very unlikely this lens will work with the S90 in Ikelite housing or Canon housing. (Lens produces 165 degree FOV native)

3. Ikelite W-20 is reported to work well by several people who have the outfit and know what they are talking about with the Ikelite housing, Canon housing, not likely. (Produces 90 to 100 degree FOV native)

4. Dyron WA15, supposed to work per their web page with the Canon housing, Ikelite however is unknown. (FOV, native ?????)

5. Inon Type 2 WAL, 67mm threaded lens, probably works fine with the Ikelite, doubt it will work with the Canon DC-35. (Produces 90 to 100 degree FOV, with dome 130 degrees, native)

Ikelite says the W-20 works, there are posted photos in these threads by users, that is your surest bet but is it best? Well, maybe you can find out?

N

Just received the Dyron WA20. Mounted on the Ikelite housing and "dry" shouting in wide / 28mm setting reveals small soft corners. The diagonal angel of view is 110 - 115degr. Will do some "wet" shooting next week.
-----
Lars_N

A few weeks back I had a chance to make a very simple test with the Dyron WA20.

Enclosed please find two pictures. Both pictures are taken placing the camera against one of the sides in the pool (unfortuantely I did not have any weights and as I float like a cork if I do not darry at least 3 kg I could not make it to the bottom long enough to get a stable picture) pointing out in the pool so the left edge of the picture just touches the corner. Unfortunately this gives some complicated geomethry when calculating the angle:(
I do not know the size of the tiles but the camera is place 10 tiles form the corner.

Both pictures are is taken in the widest (28mm) setting. The first is taken without the WA and the second with the WA.

BR,
Lars

Attachments

• IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0177.JPG
    IMG_0177.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 92
Well, I took the S90 on my trip to the GBR....and it worked for 2 dives then locked up in the lens extended position. Seems there have been thousands of them that have done this. It is unclear if the issue has been corrected, it was a bad batch of some part or it is still on going, but if you have one that shows any signs of this issue, one needs to get it corrected or replaced before it does the permanent lock up.

You get this when the lens is extended out to maximum...some people have stated that it is a gear issue (have no way to confirm this). Canon has been charging to repair them (something over $100).

I used the camera for some test pictures....then took on trip.. dive one worked great... dive two, at the end it stuck, removed camera, and a light tap and the lens retracted. Dive three, it locked up and no tapping, replacing batteries, or anything will get it to move (surprising how firmly it is locked up).

Images, when it worked, were not bad.

If I had to guess, I would guess the drive system is over driving the lens, and breaking the plastic gears at maximum zoom, as this only seems to seems to happen at that point. Not sure how they tell the motor to turn off at maximum.

I'm sorry to hear that. I believe something like that should be covered under warranty - can't believe they're charging to fix such a new camera.

That should be warranty. There are several issues that haunt all Canon P&S cameras from what I have researched, to varying degrees:

Lens jamming
Lens/image de-centering
purple fringing
zoom lens barrel distortion
sensor dust--usually from manufacturing
dead pixels on sensor or lcd

Long ago, after spending a lot of money to get to a place that I would never get back to, my Nikon quit working, actually I dropped it off a cliff, well, a long story, a bee was after me.

In any case, ever since then, if it really mattered to me, I took two. Before all is done, maybe not until you guys sell your S90s on eBay, I will acquire a second and even possibly if the price is right a third, like I did with my Canon A570IS, yes, I have three of those. If one quits, I just pop another in and go.

Cameras today are not reliable like the mechanical film cameras of yesteryear, not at any level, I think two is more important than ever. Especially after investing in a rather expensive lens system and aluminum housing, yeah, I will get a spare/back up.

I am sorry your camera broke, I hope that you still had a wonderful trip.

N

Stuck lens has been an issue for at least several Canon small camera models, although it is the first S90 case I have heard of. What is their excuse for not covering it under warranty? Supposed abuse?

Stuck lens has been an issue for at least several Canon small camera models, although it is the first S90 case I have heard of. What is their excuse for not covering it under warranty? Supposed abuse?

Reading blogs on the issue, it seems they are not saying, just charging to fix it. Using a "not under warranty" statement. I could find no one that got it fixed under warranty. The number that have failed is supposed to be around 10,000.. but I have no idea where that number came from. But some of the canon forums seem to be very connected to Canon.

What I do know is that Canon seems to have decided that fixing one under warranty would result in them having to fix all of them, so they just are charging everyone. (saw several listed costs, but around $150 seemed to be the most common).

The other odd thing is that they are sended out, with the repair, a notice that if the repair fails, they are not responsible. (nice touch)

Would seem to indicate that they must have some camera's that are designed wrong and they don't want to get stuck with the cost of replacement.

That should be warranty. There are several issues that haunt all Canon P&S cameras from what I have researched, to varying degrees:

Lens jamming
Lens/image de-centering
purple fringing
zoom lens barrel distortion
sensor dust--usually from manufacturing
dead pixels on sensor or lcd

Long ago, after spending a lot of money to get to a place that I would never get back to, my Nikon quit working, actually I dropped it off a cliff, well, a long story, a bee was after me.

In any case, ever since then, if it really mattered to me, I took two. Before all is done, maybe not until you guys sell your S90s on eBay, I will acquire a second and even possibly if the price is right a third, like I did with my Canon A570IS, yes, I have three of those. If one quits, I just pop another in and go.

Cameras today are not reliable like the mechanical film cameras of yesteryear, not at any level, I think two is more important than ever. Especially after investing in a rather expensive lens system and aluminum housing, yeah, I will get a spare/back up.

I am sorry your camera broke, I hope that you still had a wonderful trip.

N

Nemrod, Had a great time and did get a few nice pictures before it stuck. Was nice diving without a camera or spear gun...and as an unexpected bonus, the place gave me a huge discount on my diving for having, as they said "Unreal buoyancy control" and respect for their reefs (most dives are over very delicate coral).

I agree with you on having two cameras.. but just saw the new Inon case for the Pany micro 4/3....so I may be just using the S90 as a backup.

I'll post some pictures later.

Yeah, nice diving without a camera, see, that is just it, that is why I QUIT diving with a camera altogether some years ago and now somehow I have been hooked backed in to now every dive being a camera mission :(.

Good, you still had fun :).

I did read something on the lens issue and it was a S90 (though the G10/11/9/7 and several of the A series, in fact all Canon P&S have lens issues). Anyways, the one blog was concerning a day long shoot using the S90. The tester was zooming the lens in and out rapidly changing zoom direction as he shot and the camera would start to have lens jamb or lens error. This may be Canon's lame excuse for not fixing the obviously defective cameras under warranty by claiming that the cameras have been abused, like WTH. So anyways, I rarely zoom my lens, I usually shoot at full wide, just never been a "zoomer" I guess since I grew up with prime lenses I just never really zoom in and out. So, fingers crossed, my camera will not break :/.

N

Back
Top Bottom