S90 + Ikelite housing : First Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, nice diving without a camera, see, that is just it, that is why I QUIT diving with a camera altogether some years ago and now somehow I have been hooked backed in to now every dive being a camera mission :(.

Good, you still had fun :).

I did read something on the lens issue and it was a S90 (though the G10/11/9/7 and several of the A series, in fact all Canon P&S have lens issues). Anyways, the one blog was concerning a day long shoot using the S90. The tester was zooming the lens in and out rapidly changing zoom direction as he shot and the camera would start to have lens jamb or lens error. This may be Canon's lame excuse for not fixing the obviously defective cameras under warranty by claiming that the cameras have been abused, like WTH. So anyways, I rarely zoom my lens, I usually shoot at full wide, just never been a "zoomer" I guess since I grew up with prime lenses I just never really zoom in and out. So, fingers crossed, my camera will not break :/.

N

It seems the issue is with it locking up when fully zoomed, so you should be ok.

I use zoom in macro mode to get some working distance...was doing that when it locked up. Was using the ring, so I could control the amount of zoom, and had just done a test to see how close one could get with the camera at maximum...well, it is still stuck there.

Do It Yourself Digital Camera Repair: Fixing a Lens Error on a Digital Camera

This site has a bunch of different lens problems and fixes for them. May help. I'm bringing two cameras and housings on my Socorro trip, only because one camera and housing is brand new and untested. I'll be taking the housing down empty once or twice before I load it up.

I had tried almost every suggestion in that list...except plugging the unit into a usb to provide extra power (I tried several of the "warning - this may damage the camera" ones).

To my surprize, it actually worked.. one time... then locked up when I attempted to turn the camera on without it plugged in, and then would not close even with the USB plugged in.

However, the unit moved very easily for that one time, so whatever the issue is, it must not be some simple mechanical one.

Thanks for posting that though.

Jim

I had tried almost every suggestion in that list...except plugging the unit into a usb to provide extra power (I tried several of the "warning - this may damage the camera" ones).

To my surprise, it actually worked.. one time... then locked up when I attempted to turn the camera on without it plugged in, and then would not close even with the USB plugged in.

However, the unit moved very easily for that one time, so whatever the issue is, it must not be some simple mechanical one.

Thanks for posting that though.

Jim

Well, the S90 is a slippery little devil. I dropped mine (just got it 4 days ago!) from a height of about 4 feet, then it looked like the photo. :depressed: It wouldn't start with the power button. When the photo review button was pushed, the LCD showed the startup image, then said "LENS ERROR. RESTART CAMERA". I finally just pushed up under the lens, heard a SNAP!, and everything seems okay. Whew!

Ouch.jpg

Yikes!

I've read reports of users who have purchased little pieces of friction tape (the sort of stuff that they put on stair steps to make them less slippery... kind of like the rough striking surface of a matchbox), and cut a little piece to put on the front of the camera where your right fingers lie on a flat spot while holding it. This may be worth considering...

Put your wrist lanyard around the wrist when shooting on the surface, that way when it slips away it will not drop onto the lens.

I mean, you know, SLR/rangefinder users, at least in the old film days, always had a neck strap on their camera, I know I did. I don't understand why nobody uses a neck strap anymore but at least use the wrist strap.

N

Back
Top Bottom