S90 setup help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Julian55

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I currently have an S90 with Canon housing and looking to maybe add some lighting. Here is my question.

I don't want to put a money into a better housing for this camera as they seem to be mostly discontinued, so is there a lighting setup that could be used for the S90 and then transferred to a better camera down the road? I know nothing right now about the connections from the strobes to the camera

I would rather only buy lights etc once than again in a year or so with a better camera

thanks

I use 2 Inon D2000 strobes with my S90 and LOVE them.

Inon D2000 makes an excellent match for this camera

I do exactly that, however the Z240 which has the option of connecting electrically gives you a upgrade path if you think there is a DSLR in the future. But if you are going to stick with the S90 a D2000 is nice. Also if you are shooting in low light consider adding a separate focus light. The one in the D2000 is a fairly narrow.

I do exactly that, however the Z240 which has the option of connecting electrically gives you a upgrade path if you think there is a DSLR in the future. But if you are going to stick with the S90 a D2000 is nice. Also if you are shooting in low light consider adding a separate focus light. The one in the D2000 is a fairly narrow.
+1 on the wired sync.

And it is not just for a big $ DSLR. Many high end P&S have a hot shoe that will allow you to shoot in manual (don't hold yer breath waiting for full ttl...).

The focus light in the D2000/Z240 is 180 lumens and 20 degrees but the diffuser comes with a 40 degree diffuser plug for the focus light itself. For macro you won't need more than this or an external focus light. The Z240 is most likely the best consumer strobe on the market and compared to the D2000 has more power but the electrical sync chord is quickly being abandoned even for DSLR housing in favour of fiber optic. The main reason to get a Z240 is power but for a small sensor camera the D2000 is more than adequate should you be lacking the funds. If you have money get a Z240

---------- Post added March 25th, 2014 at 08:06 AM ----------

+1 on the wired sync.

And it is not just for a big $ DSLR. Many high end P&S have a hot shoe that will allow you to shoot in manual (don't hold yer breath waiting for full ttl...).

Right now there are only 4 advanced PS cameras with hot shoe: Sony RX100 Mark II, Olympus XZ-2, Canon G16, Panasonic LX7
The Olympus and Panasonic do not have any housing with a bulkhead, the RX100 Mark II bulkhead connection is unusable (see bulkhead test on my blog) and the G16 has a manual flash with recycle time faster than the strobe. So it would be fair to say the electrical sync cord is only an option if you have an external TTL converter or a converter in a housing for a DSLR (which most manufacturers don't bother doing anymore)

I use Intova ISS 2000 slave flash with a fiberoptic connection, and I am quite happy with it. I mounted Princeton flashlight on the same arm for focusing.

The focus light in the D2000/Z240 is 180 lumens and 20 degrees but the diffuser comes with a 40 degree diffuser plug for the focus light itself. For macro you won't need more than this or an external focus light. The Z240 is most likely the best consumer strobe on the market and compared to the D2000 has more power but the electrical sync chord is quickly being abandoned even for DSLR housing in favour of fiber optic. The main reason to get a Z240 is power but for a small sensor camera the D2000 is more than adequate should you be lacking the funds. If you have money get a Z240

---------- Post added March 25th, 2014 at 08:06 AM ----------

Right now there are only 4 advanced PS cameras with hot shoe: Sony RX100 Mark II, Olympus XZ-2, Canon G16, Panasonic LX7
The Olympus and Panasonic do not have any housing with a bulkhead, the RX100 Mark II bulkhead connection is unusable (see bulkhead test on my blog) and the G16 has a manual flash with recycle time faster than the strobe. So it would be fair to say the electrical sync cord is only an option if you have an external TTL converter or a converter in a housing for a DSLR (which most manufacturers don't bother doing anymore)

What do you think of the S2000 strobe for a camera like the Canon S120?

The s2000 is a nice unit however the D2000 has it's own ttl which means you can shoot the camera in manual flash at minimum settings and get 1 more dive per battery pack if you shoot ttl with the strobe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom