S95 in Canon housing, problems with settings in Manual Mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just me I am sure but loss of control over the rear ring is crippling IMO to the camera and not acceptable. Sure, you can work around it but I have found punching buttons and holding buttons while pushing other buttons underwater to be inhibiting and frustrating.

The control is there for a reason and I would not consider any housing that does not support it.

N

Your absolutely correct. But for me the button pushing was about money :wink:.
I'm willing to use a $200. button pushing housing over a $800 to $1000. one with a dial :D. That's why I'm an amateur photographer :D

Money is always the decision maker :eyebrow:

Retired on a pension = less money = button pushing :D

How about changing the function assigned to the front Control Ring on the fly using the Ring Function button? Page 101 http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/4/0300003994/01/PSS95_CUG_EN.pdf

Is the Control dial the only option not available in the Canon housing?

Mike

From pics of the housing it looks like the 'Ring function button' can be used so the Control Dial is the only thing not availiable.

Lots more buttons to push if using the 'ring function button' to change settings but at least it can be done with one hand. Will need both hands to turn the 'front dial' though.

Hi,

I have created a special version of CHDK for Canon S95 in a IkeLite housing. There are mainly two things I have tried to fix:

1. To simulate the control wheel you must hold down S and press LEFT or RIGHT.
2. Zoom in/out is very difficult.

When CHDK is installed the S button has a new function. It changes between ALT and NORMAL mode. The ALT mode is a special mode, where new functions are available. I have changed the ALT mode so that:

1. Pressing LEFT or RIGHT works the same as holding down S and pressing LEFT or RIGHT. So in order to simulate turning the rear wheel simply press S to enter ALT mode, then press LEFT or RIGHT as needed and finally press S to leave ALT mode.

2. Pressing UP or DOWN works the same as zoom in or out. So in order to zoom in or out press S to enter ALT mode, then press UP or DOWN as needed and finally press S to leave ALT mode. I have chosen the SET button in favor of the UP button because the UP button is not so easy to press in the IkeLite housing.

3. The shutter button, zoom button, front wheel and rear wheel have their normal function ALT mode. Thus it is now possible to take pictures in ALT mode.

I think my solution is better than holding down two buttons at the same time.

/Sam

Where do Ikelite/Canon DC35 users get this hack? FIX/Recsea users will not need it but the others would find this very useful I would think.

N

Where do Ikelite/Canon DC35 users get this hack? FIX/Recsea users will not need it but the others would find this very useful I would think.

N

Ok. It is a "hack" and is not part of the normal CHDK distribution - use at your own risk. Currently it only works when CHDK auto boot (Card Lock Boot Method). First install the normal CHDK distribution on a SD-CARD and make it auto boot. Then install my hacked version.

Information about CHDK:
CHDK for Dummies - CHDK Wiki

You can download CHDK here (remember to pick the correct firmware version!):
CHDK Download - build 0.9.9, revision #1262

You can download my modified CHDK here:
http://dejongh.dk/chdk/canon-s95-v0.1.zip

I have only tested with firmware E, but I think the other firmware versions will also work. And remember it only works with the Card Lock Boot Method at the moment!

/Sam

This is GREAT news and a huge thanks go out to Sam! Absolute biggest disadvantage with the Canon and Ikelite housings is solved!

Did not experience zoom problems with the Canon and never used the Ikelite but now the "2 button dance" days is all over.

Been loading CHDK manually (button push) but now have to setup the SD-card so CHDK will boot when starting the camera.

Hello Sam-

Thanks for the good work in solving the 2 finger problem.

I have installed your hack on my cards and the 2 finger problem is truly resolved.

As to the zoom, I am not able to make it zoom in, but it does zoom out. [ have firmware K.]

Hello Sam-
As to the zoom, I am not able to make it zoom in, but it does zoom out. [ have firmware K.]

I seem to have a problem.

The Zoom out works by pushing the down button

But the Zoom in button is now on the "FUNC SET" button which is needed for other applications.

Pushing the Up button displays, but doesn't change, the same function as the RIGHT button.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom