S95 Replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjibber

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

I have just managed to flood my Canon S95. I have had this for over six years and done about 800 dives with it so I have had my money's worth from it but now need a replacement!

I have really enjoyed the S95 for the following reasons:
  • It has given me some very good pictures without the need for additional strobes or lenses.
  • Most of my diving is done while traveling eg I am currently in SE Asia for six months and carrying all my own dive gear (as well as half of my wife's!). It is small and lightweight.
  • I really like the one button white balance setup. When traveling, I do not want to spend large amounts of time post-processing pictures and the results with manual white balance do not require too much editing.
  • I like the custom settings button that means I can always get to my macro settings quickly.
  • I also like the fact that the camera is small enough to fit in my pocket if I want to use it when not underwater

If I could buy another S95 I would but I realise this is unlikely to happen so am looking for alternatives. I have been looking at the TG5 but am concerned that It really needs an external strobe and that the white balance settings are not so good. Is this correct or is this going to give me better pictures anyway?

Is there anything else anyone could recommend?

I would probably prefer to stick with Canon as I have been using them since my first underwater housing about 15 years ago but am prepared to change if there is something out there that covers the majority of the above list.

I realise that there is a lot of advice about this already on this forum but a lot of suggestions recommend camera/housing/strobe combinations. For traveling, I really do not want to have to carry a strobe. (I also have very slow, and intermittent internet access at the moment so am finding it hard to search for a lot of information)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I upgraded from my beloved S95 to a G7xII for the same reason. I sure miss my S95 even though I had a backup camera, I didn't see a good reason to get a housing rebuild (leaky button was the reason for the flood). There a shops that will re-build your camera for fairly cheap or you can get another via eBay. Overall, I like the G7x but I knew how to use the S95 and got good shots from it. The larger sensor on the G7x is a great plus and natively it takes better macro without a lens. However, I still can't get it to consistently focus with the nauticam macro lenses (CMC-1 & CMC-2). I'll be going back to my less powerful Inons as they worked great with the S95. Like I said, I really liked and miss my S95 and wouldn't have upgraded but having the larger format sensor sure is nice - not sure it was that nice with all the money I dropped getting a totally new rig - strobes and all. I looked at the TG-5, G7XII, and the RX100. I don't do much video so the G7X ended up the winner for me - a plus since I already knew the menus. If you are looking to keep the rig as small as possible, I'd look at the Olympus.

I have been considering upgrading my S95, for the Canon G9 with a Fantasea housing.
I currently have 3 cannon housings, 1 ikelilte housing, and 4 S95's. Mainly because both myself and my late partner used them.
One of the big issues I have is a multitube of Inon lenses using the Bayonet fitting. Inon doesn't have an adapter to fit the fantasea housing.

I am comfortable using the S95. The picture limitations are generally operator based rather than equipment based. I am aware that upgrading will give me improved aperture range and speed range. However, I am certain that I will go backwards initially whist I learn the new camera.

I am upgrading from a S95 to a Sony RX100 VA. My key factors are the better sensor, decreased shutter lag and the much more advanced autofocus system.

I upgraded my S110 to a TG5 and far prefer the TG5. The Olympus housing is very tough and strong and the macro results are way better than with the Canon. I have never used strobes with either the S110 ( Manual WB) or now the TG5 ( the incamera flash works fine ) I take the S110 as a backup and actually took it on a dive on our last trip. The results with the TG5 are way better.

But as the other posters have said , you should be able to pick up an S95 from EBay. I used two second hand S110s from EBAY for hundreds and hundreds of dives and both are still going strong.

I upgraded my S110 to a TG5 and far prefer the TG5. The Olympus housing is very tough and strong and the macro results are way better than with the Canon. I have never used strobes with either the S110 ( Manual WB) or now the TG5 ( the incamera flash works fine ) I take the S110 as a backup and actually took it on a dive on our last trip. The results with the TG5 are way better.

But as the other posters have said , you should be able to pick up an S95 from EBay. I used two second hand S110s from EBAY for hundreds and hundreds of dives and both are still going strong.

Thanks for all the replies! I will have a look at eBay but as I am already traveling in Indonesia this may not be as easy an option as if I was at home. How do you find your "non-macro" photos compared to the S110 when not using the flash? This is probably my biggest concern about the TG5.

Thanks for all the replies! I will have a look at eBay but as I am already traveling in Indonesia this may not be as easy an option as if I was at home. How do you find your "non-macro" photos compared to the S110 when not using the flash? This is probably my biggest concern about the TG5.
Not as good , but I am beginning to get better results by going closer and then even closer.

Not as good , but I am beginning to get better results by going closer and then even closer.
Hi,

I have managed to buy a TG5 in KL. Still upset at losing my S95 but at lease I have a camera again!

Do you have any tips about settings for both macro and non-macro shots? Most of the information about underwater settings that I have found on the internet seems to assume you are using strobes and/or additional lenses. I will start experimenting on Friday but any advice about where to start would be helpful!

Cheers.

I have a great shape Canon S95, Canon battery and factory charger, neck strap, cords in box plus the Canon WP-DC38 housing for sale.

Would take $150.00 for all plus shipping wherever.

Contact directly: davidhaas@sbcglobal.net

IMG_7784.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom