SA/Mozambique in Feb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi topps, can you let me know how your trip goes at ponta... also i was just wondering since you seem to dive in s.africa a bit have you heard of aqua planet on shelly beach?

Unfortunately my diving has been limited to Durban, Aliwal Shoal and Koh Toa (Thailand). I haven't been down the coast just yet.

But I will let you know how Ponta goes next month.

I can certainly sympathise with some of the points that SeaBeast is making. Diving around the world will open many people up to how other countries and diving operations do things. While I haven't had extensive exposure, I can say that here is South Africa we do tend to be content with the bare minimum service as long as it doesn't kill us.

While there may not be the huge market that other countries enjoy. There doesn't seem to be much effort to raise the bar. For example does it hurt to add a sun shade to a boat if it is being used for multiple dives where divers will be exposed to the African sun for many hours? No, but it will make the experience more pleasant for those diving and even the skipper who has to stand there while we send a few hours under the water.

It's the small things at the end of the day. While I still much rather dive in Thailand, it's not because of the vis or the ocean life. But the way everything is run. I just feel safer and more relaxed knowing that they do everything the right way.

I can certainly sympathise with some of the points that SeaBeast is making. Diving around the world will open many people up to how other countries and diving operations do things. While I haven't had extensive exposure, I can say that here is South Africa we do tend to be content with the bare minimum service as long as it doesn't kill us.

While there may not be the huge market that other countries enjoy. There doesn't seem to be much effort to raise the bar. For example does it hurt to add a sun shade to a boat if it is being used for multiple dives where divers will be exposed to the African sun for many hours? No, but it will make the experience more pleasant for those diving and even the skipper who has to stand there while we send a few hours under the water.

It's the small things at the end of the day. While I still much rather dive in Thailand, it's not because of the vis or the ocean life. But the way everything is run. I just feel safer and more relaxed knowing that they do everything the right way.

ill look forward to the trip report....cheers.

if the safety standards in sa are worse than what ive experienced in thailand then ill be in for a shock when i get there... although it cant be said every diveshop in a country run to the same standards.. different experience with every shop..

so just got back from mozam , did 7 dives ... a night dives and a whole lot of day dives , swam with dolphins on the way back to shore they one day , that was fun , diving was pretty good , the viz has deteriorated some wat , its around 20m id say , usually its 30 , the temp is around 28-29 deg , constantly , i dove shorti every dive :) , fish life , seems to have moved around a tad , the busy reefs are less busy and the quiet ones are fuller , currents were not bad at all , there was a fair amount of surge on about 2 dives , saw a leopard shark on one dive , was there with a lot of aow so only manged 3 dives below 20m , those were all 3 the best dives , p.s. went to ponta malongane , dove 3 sisters ( best) , riannas arch ( fun ) , kevs ledge , ridge , goblins ( bad dive ), drop zone ( not too bad ) and blacks ... it sucked to some home , was great fun ,,, i miss it already , the people are still friendly , the sky is still pitch black with tons of stars , and beers are still cold :) any q,s just shout :)

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. Enclosed is what I ended up doing (hopefully useful for other travelers to SA/MOZ):
1. 4 days at Cape Town - wonderful place.
- Did one day cage diving in Gansbaii with "Great White Shark Adventures" who seemed a professional outfit. Even though supposedly the worst time of year for this, saw a couple of sharks and many passes by the cage. Vis only about 3 M though so u/w photography was tough
- Two days at wineries, Stellenbosch area we thought best
- One day local diving, by False Bay. Weather was terrible with high winds that day so we had to go off the beach and it was pretty rough with low vis. Went with Carel van der Colff carel@diveinn.co.za who is a local divemaster available to set up dives for out-of-towners and I highly recommend.
2. 4 days in Mozambique, Inhambane area - Winds were unusually high so trips to sites were rough, and any sites shallower than 15M were pretty much undiveable due to the surge. Deeps reefs were ok though had 20M vis. Saw 1 Manta in total 5 dives. Saw another manta and 2 whale sharks on a snorkelling ocean safari the last day when the weather was finally decent.
Overall comments on the Inhambane, Moz area are that the only reason I would recommend going there is to see the whale sharks and mantas, which make the trip definitely worthwhile by itself, but the reefs and other life are not impressive compared to most other well-known locations.
Stayed at Barra Lodge - great place, really outstanding dinners! Dive shop is professional. Major downside is no Nitrox which according to them none of the shops have. Really stupid when the typical Manta site is 25-30M, so each trip yields poor bottom time. Recommend that others going to Inhanbane area ask about Nitrox and go with whoever adds this capability.
3. Last 4 days were safari near Kruger - not diving but hey this is SA and it was wonderful and a must for anyone going there

I am amazed that the original poster that is doing his DM coarse is upset about having to take part in launching a boat from the beach ! Diving is such an wonderful sport being done mostly in.....WATER....so the boat has to be launched ...i have never dived at the our coast without having to launch a boat ! Its part of the dive - its adventurous - enjoy it !

As far as the sun is concerned , we love it . Did you not know that the sun in Africa is big and shines brightly before you decided to come here ? Every time we dive we get a proper briefing by the dive leader as well as the skipper - i am sure you would have been warned about the sun before getting on the boat - especially if they knew you are from Russia !

I have dived the southern side of Mozambique extensively including near Inhaca island which is around 30 km into the ocean and it was just an adventure - we were like schoolkids beaming at the thought of being able to do multiple dives from the boat without having to return to the beach! And yes we did take sunscreen with on the boat for the sit times- and you wont believe me - the reefs were Excellent !

We always drive up to Mozambique and even that is part of our diving experience- we make it fun- we go on outrides in the sand to pubs where you have 360 degrees vision of the surrounding area - or we go to secluded little beaches to snorkel with our kids - we sometimes see lots of wild animals in that area.

As far as a broken motor on a boat that took 2 hours to repair-this will not happen if you dive at a recognised existing dive camp - and the road you took to get to this spesific site that has not been travelled recently- it seems you went with a crowd to a remote site and they are not able to find the decent and known reefs ???

Next time if ever you want to dive Mozambique try and communicate with the locals and i am sure you wont be sent to the place you went !

By the way the last time we stayed at Ponta Malongane (whilst camping ) it cost us per person around R120-00 ( $ 15-00) per day and our dives were R 200-00 ( $ 25-00) each.

Anyway i hope you at least get qualified to be a DM if nothing else at least you will have that to show for your bad experience !!!:D

Trip Report (11th to 13th February 2011) to Ponta do Oura, Mozambique.

After what can only be described as an "early" start a group of fifth day scuba divers set off to Ponta do Oura.

The Kosi bay border post was our first distination after leaving Durban. And for the most part the experience wasn't too bad as border post go. If you don't have a 4x4 of your own, you can organise a border transfer to Ponta and leave your car on the South African side. If you are taking your vehicle through, you'll need your log book/letter from the bank/car hire company to allow you through the border. Once there you'll need to temporarily register and insure your vehicle before continuing.

The roads to Ponta are all beach sand! As long as you keep your momentum and leave some space between yourself and the vehicle in front of you.

We were staying with Planet Scuba which is probably what you'd call very comfortable accommodation. Nothing we could complain about!

First dive was to a shallow (14m) reef called "Crèche", aptly named for the juvenile fish that inhabit it. Water was warm (27/28) and what a treat to dive in just a rash vest and baggies. Made a nice change from Aliwal the previous weekend at 13 degrees. But what a cool dive! On the boat ride out we swam with a pod of dolphins, Magic!

The reef itself is decent with lots of fish life all around and the fact it's shallow makes for a long dive. I popped up after 70min under water. Dolphins, bluespotted ribbontail rays, lionfish, tiggerfish, clown fish, black cheek morays and a hawks bill turtle were some of the more memorable spots from a plethora of others.

P.S if you find a Mares integrated weight pouch there please let me know. :shakehead:

2nd dive was "Pinnacles". This is a deeper dive (42m) and although we dropped North of the pinnacle we had a very enjoyable dive. On the way down we saw Hammerhead sharks (first for me). We levelled off at 30m with the bottom easily visible with the most Niger trigger fish I've ever seen in one spot. The local Potato bass decided to keep us company, swimming amongst the divers and not shying away from some tentative touches. A Zambezi, Remora and apparently a Blacktip shark were spotted on the way up.

3rd and final dive was meant to be Atlantis (+40m) but Mike of Phambuka Dive Camp managed to throw a spanner in the works by suggesting "Blacks". A shallower dive (24m) to a cleaning station reef that apparently is rarely dived. It's a small cluster of rocky outcrops but home to some interesting sea life.

7/8 Lion fish were tucked up on the ledges all around the outcrops. Black cheek Morays were warily eyeing those divers who were getting a bit close. They even got our DM on the arm. Leaf fish we an added treat (again a first). Juvenile Emperor Angel fish had the cameras flashing away. Some of the divers were lucky enough to spot an manta ray towards the end of the dive.

If you find you are tired after a dive on air, try degassing at 3m for as long as you can after your safety stops. I didn't ever try this before but tried it on the last dive. Just as well because I had a 7 hours drive home to Durban to do. It really makes a difference.

All in all it was a fantastic first trip to Ponta and I for one can't wait to go back. Maybe this time I'll get to see a manta and (fingers crossed) a Whale shark! Mike and James were faultless as our skipper and dive gilly.

An absolute must do (or so EVERY1 told me) when in Ponta is a visit to Fernando's bar for a legendary "R&R". Don't be scared, as this is a right of passage that all visitors must attempt.

Back
Top Bottom