SAC rate has been uncharacteristically high?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apparently it cannot at the beginning of the article ..
NO reduces the risk of decompression sickness (DCS); in addition to its effects on blood flow, NO also reduces bubbles, protects inner vascular surfaces and diminishes inflammatory reactions, including platelet consumption.

Then it can later in the same study (probably more with Nitrox) ...
The authors believe that the increased occurrence of DCS in sildenafil-treated animals may be related to vasodilation in the central nervous system (CNS), with increased cerebral blood flow previously described by Demchenko et al.2 This effect may increase the load of inert gas during the dive and thus create conditions for local generation of bubbles and severe neurological DCS. The previous study showed that PDE5 inhibitors reduce the onset time of convulsions caused by oxygen toxicity.

This looks like an Oxymoronic article to me.
Reminds me of a famous comedy dialogue from Bollywood movies >>>
Evil Villian : (Threateningly) I will dip you in Liquid Oxygen ... and pickle you for ever
Confused subdued and overpowered Hero: Uhh how .. why?
Evil Villian: The Liquid (water) will not let you live ... (sombre pause while the Hero considers drowning) ... and the Oxygen will not let you die ...

:D :D :D

But I've had no issues after around 150 dives with it ... in an accident with a downdraft current maybe I'm screwed ... :/ but thats why I take Taladafil in the first place .. but my SAC problem is serious enough to give it up atleast the day before and on the diving days

So the authors of the study .. did they take some rats diving with them?

Last edited:
Any body have any ideas outside of the normal tips for improving air consumption? Or is that the answer here, and I'm over-thinking it?

Most likely you are spending too much time on ScubaBoard reading all these threads and realizing that pretty much everything you are doing is somehow wrong and stressing over it. :D

Most likely you are spending too much time on ScubaBoard reading all these threads and realizing that pretty much everything you are doing is somehow wrong and stressing over it. :D

Ha! I love this board for that--you could post a picture of someone snorkeling with no dive gear and somebody would ask where his long hose is, and somebody else would say his console is dangling. And yeah, I'm definitely thinking about it at this point, but it has been weird enough that I'm going to the doctor next week.

Ha! I love this board for that--you could post a picture of someone snorkeling with no dive gear and somebody would ask where his long hose is, and somebody else would say his console is dangling. And yeah, I'm definitely thinking about it at this point, but it has been weird enough that I'm going to the doctor next week.

Best of luck with your evaluation, I hope you will give us some follow up.

Good diving, Craig

Lots of physiological variables can have a significant impact on your consumption rate. Stress and fatigue being the two most common. You mentioned something in an earlier post about being in a hurry ... are you continuing that mindset once the dive begins? Swimming speed is a significant variable in your breathing rate ... much like walking vs jogging can be on land.

Before suspecting anything more serious, ask yourself about your state of mind ... your physical state (tired, lack of sleep) ... or your swimming speed. Any of those could account for the change without you even realizing it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Update: went to the doc and I'm still healthy. So nothing underlying on that side.

I talked to her about it, and I'm actually leaning towards just being plain dehydrated. Between working in the evenings, having a single, heavy BZ400 for an undergarment, warmer water, warmer summer, naturally sweating like an Enron accountant even in cold weather, and being rushed when I head out diving (and the night before) I really think I just wasn't drinking water like I normally do before I dive. I'm usually very intentional about hydrating, and I haven't been in the last month.

I made it more intentional on the last couple evenings before I went diving, and I'm back in the same ballpark I should be in. It's still not where I like it to be, but I'm also not working cardio as much as I like to. That, doing a lot of "guiding", and getting acquainted with my new can light probably makes up the rest.

Long story short: it turns out, I may just be a sweaty, over-analyzing doofus. This would be the worst episode of House ever.

Update: went to the doc and I'm still healthy. So nothing underlying on that side.

I talked to her about it, and I'm actually leaning towards just being plain dehydrated. Between working in the evenings, having a single, heavy BZ400 for an undergarment, warmer water, warmer summer, naturally sweating like an Enron accountant even in cold weather, and being rushed when I head out diving (and the night before) I really think I just wasn't drinking water like I normally do before I dive. I'm usually very intentional about hydrating, and I haven't been in the last month.

I made it more intentional on the last couple evenings before I went diving, and I'm back in the same ballpark I should be in. It's still not where I like it to be, but I'm also not working cardio as much as I like to. That, doing a lot of "guiding", and getting acquainted with my new can light probably makes up the rest.

Long story short: it turns out, I may just be a sweaty, over-analyzing doofus. This would be the worst episode of House ever.

@WantSomeScuba?

Glad to hear the explanation is not a serious medical problem. Perhaps when you take care of all the variables you listed, your RMV will come down.

Give us all a follow up if you can remember.

Very best and good diving.

Not a bad thing.

You had a problem and found the main reason, and will avoid the issues that caused your problem. Good thing you didn't need House, he is fictitious you know.

Bob

Not a bad thing.
Good thing you didn't need House, he is fictitious you know.
Bob

What? I don't believe you. Next thing you're going to tell me is that I don't need my leg-mounted Ka-Bar, my SpareAir (Nitrox, of course) isn't a reasonable bail out on a single-tank cave dive, and that sharks aren't the most dangerous thing in the water when diving. Pssssssh.... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom