SAC rate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By far the biggest thing that helps my SAC rate dive to dive (meaning ignoring things that take a long time to change: body weight, experience; or are impossible to change: sex, individual characteristics) is buoyancy. I'm at that point in diving where sometimes my bouyancy looks excellent and other times it looks like I was still in OW. Part of the reason is I waste less air inflating and deflating my BCD, but also you are just so much more relaxed when you have your buoyancy under control (not having to constantly be fiddling with your inflator or worrying about hitting the bottom or floating up). And I see a noticeable difference in my gas used (or more specifically, dive times since I usually go from 3000 PSI to 500 PSI regardless) between "bad" and "good" bouyancy dives.

And it isn't a tiny difference, my last time I went diving there were two deeper dives. The first was an average of about 65-70 feet, the second was an average of probably 75 feet, the second was also a fair bit colder. Both dives went from 3000 PSI to 500 PSI. In theory, the second day should have been slightly shorter due to being slightly deeper and colder, but my dive was actually about 20% longer. The big difference I can think of? I felt much better about my buoyancy and overall just much more relaxed the second day.

It seems everything in diving comes back to "improve your buoyancy".

Robert, I am almost 59, exersize 3-4 times a week, and am still overweight.. and my sac rate is between .38 and .58, depending on conditions.

.5 cubic ft per minut on the surface allows a dive to 66ft for around 44 minutes. I assume your 28 is PSI per minute.. or around .7 something.

So, yea, there is hope.. but you have to be relaxed, comfortable and move slow and, well, have done it a while.

But you will never be as good as some women I know.. who I don't think use air.

To address that, I have bigger tanks.. 100's, 117's and 133's..with which I can stay down with pretty much any little person using an Al 80.

But in a recent vacation to the Bahamas, all they had were 80 cubic ft tank, with my longest dive being one to 59 ft for 61 minutes.

As a newbie I'm just figuring out things. While on a trip to Florida this month discovered my sac rate was only 28. I was using air twice as fast as anyone else in our group. I'm a 58 year old male, exercise 4-5 x's weekly. Am overweight but have lost about 20% of my weight over the last four years. Diving was my reward for losing 10" off waist.
Now I find out, after these years of training, I'm still sucking air at an impossible rate. Is there hope for me? I can't use treadmill due to a long ago running accident, but do ellipticals for 30 minutes several times a week, plus weight training. Am in better shape than any time in the last twelve years, but very discouraged following this most recent trip.
Our dives were 55-90" in dept. Even using nitrox, on an air setting, the longest dive was only 35 minutes.
Well, I ramble. Any help, suggestions, encouragment from the experienced.
Robert, A Diver

How fast you use your gas is determined by two things: How much CO2 you are generating per minute, and how efficiently you use the gas you breathe to accomplish gas exchange in the lungs.

To address the second idea first, I'm going to describe a little anatomy. Your respiratory system includes your mouth, larynx, trachea, large bronchi, small bronchioles and then the air sacs where gas exchange actually takes place. Until gas gets into the air sacs, it's just passing through -- it's not delivering any oxygen, or taking away any CO2. If the volume of air you breathe with each breathe is only the volume of your larynx, trachea and bronchi, you're moving a lot of air, but not exchanging any gas. That's why shallow, rapid breathing runs through your tank quickly (and also leaves you feeling short of breath). It's also why slow, deep breaths are routinely recommended by instructors.

Tension and anxiety tend to make people take quick, shallow breaths, which are inefficient. Relaxation tends to allow people to slow their breathing . . . but the funny thing is that slowing your breathing also tends to bring relaxation with it. That's the essence of yoga breathing, or meditation.

Assuming your breathing PATTERN is an efficient one, then you have to look at your CO2 production, which is a result of metabolic activity in cells. You have a certain basal metabolic rate, below which you really can't go. It's actually HIGHER in fitter people than it is in the unfit, so you'd think that getting fit would make your gas consumption worse. But at the same time that your basal metabolic rate increases, the amount of muscle effort you need to accomplish a given amount of work goes DOWN, and that's a much bigger influence. So fitness does pay off.

But efficiency pays off even better. Every motion you make underwater, you pay for with some gas used. Therefore, the less motion, the longer your gas lasts. You can reduce motion by becoming horizontal, so that all your kicking effort succeeds in propelling you forward. If you are tilted at a 45 degree angle to the bottom, each time you kick, you drive yourself upward. To compensate, you have to keep your buoyancy negative, so you will have an equal tendency to sink. At that point, you are expending energy for a net displacement of zero! Very inefficient, and a very common new diver error.

Use your fins, not your hands. Hands are great for swimming on the surface, without fins, because your feet aren't very efficient propellers. But fins are, and that's what you should be using underwater. Flailing wildly with the hands uses a lot of muscle effort and produces very little net propulsion, so people who swim with their hands tend to suck gas.

Master your buoyancy. Although the volume of gas going into your BC or drysuit is relatively small, if you are putting it in and letting it out and putting it back in and letting it back out . . . after a half hour, your BC has breathed a lot of your gas. To master buoyancy, you have to start with proper weighting, because being significantly overweighted will make you unstable in the water column, and result in a lot of yo-yoing that wastes BC gas and ALSO makes you breathe harder. So reducing your weight to the proper amount will, in the long run, make your gas last longer.

And finally, move slower! One of the major strategies of sea life is camouflage, so if you move quickly, you miss many animals you might otherwise find. Unless you have a specific purpose for rapid movement, like spearfishing (and spearfishermen are NEVER going to win any awards for low SAC rates!) slow swimming will result in a much more productive and interesting dive.

Finally, recognize that body size and muscle mass will have a detectable effect on gas consumption. My favorite dive buddy is 6' tall and very strong. He's an absolutely beautiful diver -- quiet, relaxed, balanced and efficient in the water -- but he will never equal my SAC rate, because I'm a little old lady. If you habitually dive with people who are much smaller than you are, then buying bigger tanks may be your best answer.
Wow! I am just starting my classes and have had questions about the SAC rating and how it works. Thank you so much for this post. I'm going to print this one!

Hi, thanks for this thought on correct breathing. I am a 1st Tenor who sings classical music and can hold a high F for over a minute, at pitch. This is part of the reason I find the whole sac thing confusing. But then, I'm still in recovery mode from eight years of serious illness.
So, actually, Diving is a success.
Now If i can only get equalization perfected, perhaps I can stay down longer!
Robert

How fast you use your gas is determined by two things: How much CO2 you are generating per minute, and how efficiently you use the gas you breathe to accomplish gas exchange in the lungs.

To address the second idea first, I'm going to describe a little anatomy. Your respiratory system includes your mouth, larynx, trachea, large bronchi, small bronchioles and then the air sacs where gas exchange actually takes place. Until gas gets into the air sacs, it's just passing through -- it's not delivering any oxygen, or taking away any CO2. If the volume of air you breathe with each breathe is only the volume of your larynx, trachea and bronchi, you're moving a lot of air, but not exchanging any gas. That's why shallow, rapid breathing runs through your tank quickly (and also leaves you feeling short of breath). It's also why slow, deep breaths are routinely recommended by instructors.

Tension and anxiety tend to make people take quick, shallow breaths, which are inefficient. Relaxation tends to allow people to slow their breathing . . . but the funny thing is that slowing your breathing also tends to bring relaxation with it. That's the essence of yoga breathing, or meditation.

Assuming your breathing PATTERN is an efficient one, then you have to look at your CO2 production, which is a result of metabolic activity in cells. You have a certain basal metabolic rate, below which you really can't go. It's actually HIGHER in fitter people than it is in the unfit, so you'd think that getting fit would make your gas consumption worse. But at the same time that your basal metabolic rate increases, the amount of muscle effort you need to accomplish a given amount of work goes DOWN, and that's a much bigger influence. So fitness does pay off.

But efficiency pays off even better. Every motion you make underwater, you pay for with some gas used. Therefore, the less motion, the longer your gas lasts. You can reduce motion by becoming horizontal, so that all your kicking effort succeeds in propelling you forward. If you are tilted at a 45 degree angle to the bottom, each time you kick, you drive yourself upward. To compensate, you have to keep your buoyancy negative, so you will have an equal tendency to sink. At that point, you are expending energy for a net displacement of zero! Very inefficient, and a very common new diver error.

Use your fins, not your hands. Hands are great for swimming on the surface, without fins, because your feet aren't very efficient propellers. But fins are, and that's what you should be using underwater. Flailing wildly with the hands uses a lot of muscle effort and produces very little net propulsion, so people who swim with their hands tend to suck gas.

Master your buoyancy. Although the volume of gas going into your BC or drysuit is relatively small, if you are putting it in and letting it out and putting it back in and letting it back out . . . after a half hour, your BC has breathed a lot of your gas. To master buoyancy, you have to start with proper weighting, because being significantly overweighted will make you unstable in the water column, and result in a lot of yo-yoing that wastes BC gas and ALSO makes you breathe harder. So reducing your weight to the proper amount will, in the long run, make your gas last longer.

And finally, move slower! One of the major strategies of sea life is camouflage, so if you move quickly, you miss many animals you might otherwise find. Unless you have a specific purpose for rapid movement, like spearfishing (and spearfishermen are NEVER going to win any awards for low SAC rates!) slow swimming will result in a much more productive and interesting dive.

Finally, recognize that body size and muscle mass will have a detectable effect on gas consumption. My favorite dive buddy is 6' tall and very strong. He's an absolutely beautiful diver -- quiet, relaxed, balanced and efficient in the water -- but he will never equal my SAC rate, because I'm a little old lady. If you habitually dive with people who are much smaller than you are, then buying bigger tanks may be your best answer.

Wow, that was a very good answer! I especially like the part about fit people may have a higher metabolism and this will affect their sac.

The only other thing I can think to mention is thermal protection and that it is important to not be cold, if you want to lower your sac. Divers should strive to move slowly and efficiently and gracefully and to relax any muscles they aren't using. These are the things that help, NOT trying to lower your SAC. Attempting to simply lower your SAC is often stressful and can give you a CO2 headache if you are an over-acheiver.

Can't add anything else other than more practice. Swim with your fins, even maneuver with your fins. Plan your moves ahead of time and adjust accordingly. Smooth is fast. Darting from place to place uses up a lot of energy and a lot of air. Let the ocean's currents and surgest help you.

Don't get me wrong, there are times when you will have to do some swimming (as in getting from one reef to another reef, or do some exploration), but when you do that, keep your arms tucked in, head down and streamline as much as possible in the water. Keep your kicks economical so that nothing is wasted.

Being able to establish neutral buoyancy is the key or otherwise you will fight to either keep afloat or sunk and that means a lot of thrashing about - wasted motions and energy.

What would an average SAC for a dive at say 50'? Just wondering I playing with my new dive computer and wondering what and average number for SAC would be. I know it can vary a lot depending on the person but what is an average?

To put it simply, SAC rate is more in your head than around your middle.

Slooow Steady breathing, relax, will help a lot. One trick I use is to practice the breathng while doing a Hover. I use a reference point or put a cork on a 5 foot string and a 1 oz fish weight (reference point) and practice hovering in a pool or in 20-30 feet of water. (Its harder in a pool)When you can hover for a minute or two or three without changing depth by more than a foot you are going to be able to control your depth and your breathing and will discover that you relax. Your SAC will drop considerably.
DP

Back
Top Bottom