Sadly, my diving days are over

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DI_Guy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Folks:

Sadly, my diving days seem to be over. I am a 56 yr male, and in December 2006, I had some very minor chest discomfort. Just enough that I decided to get checked out. I had a cardiac angiogram and low and behold I had a 90% stenosis of the left main coronary artery and a pretty bad LAD coronary artery. I ended up having a triple bypass ( CABG ) operation. One of the bypasses failed after two months of rehab so I ended up having three cypher stents put in the LM and the LAD. I am in good physical shape, non-smoker, BMI of 25, not diabetic.

I have recovered from the surgery and the stent placements and did not dive at all through 2007. I was hoping to get the OK to dive again because diving is my passion.

I think I should give up on that idea. I guess it's not worth the risk. I am worried that the stents might compress at the pressures experienced at 100 ft depth.

Any of the Cadiologists on the board have any information on how stents are affected by the pressure at depth ?

I'm no doctor but you cant compress liquids, only gasses. I don't see the pressure at 100 ft depth having any relation to the stent. It's a type of device made like a mesh tube that keeps the arteries open.

You might have other issues with your heart that could keep you from diving.

I am curious to see the answers from cardiologists here on the board who might have a different view from the non-diving informed practitioners.

Me too!! I am no doctor, but I would think that shallow diving, that would be a couple of ATH, you would be fine assuming you were in good heatlth at the time. No need to do 100' anyway, in most cases. Everything is mostly above 30 feet anyhow.

Hi DI_Guy,

Coronary artery stents are not in any way affected by the changes in ambient pressure inhererent in recreational SCUBA. They contain no air-filled spaces and therefore do not compress or expand with conceivable changes in depth.

Coronary artery bypass surgery and the placement of stents is not an absolute contraindication to SCUBA. Return to diving post-CABG/stenting depends upon a number of factors, including:

1. The stent(s) is stable and shows no signs of re-stenosis.
2. No significant cardiovascular occlusion is found upon angiography.
3. Normal thallium or other radioactive tracer scan.
4. Ability to perform exercise stress testing at or very near 13 METS/Stage 4 of the standard Bruce protocol without electrocardiographic abnormalities, shortness of breath, chest pain or excessive fatigue.
5. Not on medications that pose serious concerns for diving, e.g., powerful anticoagulants like Coumadin.
6. The diver is fit and healthy and has no other medical conditions that pose a threat to safe scuba.

Given that all of the above are fulfilled, it would be entirely reasonable for the diver to discuss return to SCUBA with his cardiologist.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

No its not. Let me tell you my story....

I was looking up to a dive trip last December 2006 with some of the best dive buddies I have when fate intervened on December 11. I had a heart attack and to make the story short, I had stents placed the LAD and is on Plavix, Aspirin and Lipitor meds. I went back in the water in mid-April 07 after completing my rehab which includes scoring 14.6 met in a bruce protocol stress test and doctor's clearance.

I've had 50 dives since then, went down to 130 ft on three occasions and in most dives spending an hour and a half at an average depth of 70ft. Last Nov. 2, I went back to the hospital to undergo an angiography to check on restenosis. The results were very satisfactory and I was again cleared by my doctor to continue and enjoy diving. I've dive last Nov 29-30 and will be diving again on Dec 28-30.

I was determined to come back and dive. Here I am enjoying every minute I'm in the water and always looking forward to the next dive. Fix yourself up with your doctor's help and come back diving.

DI guy I hope your initial post is wrong and you get to return to diving. I know how it can be a passion in life. I wish you all the best!

Check with a DAN Doc if that makes you feel any better. If the concern is going to 100ft are you able to do shallower dives on reefs.

Hey Doc, On a side note if you had to guess.. what percentage of the middle aged dive population with no cardiac history do you think could reach 13 mets with no shortness of breath or other indicating factors?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom