Safe to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KJackson60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey, I have an acquaintance who would like to learn to dive. He is in good condition with no known health issues except he has a stint in one of the arteries to his heart. He had the stint implanted when he was very young to correct a birth defect. He is now in his mid teens, is active physically and has no limitations as to any activities. My question is, does the stint pose a risk to him if he learns to dive? I know he will need to see a doctor for approval, just want to get an idea if it is even possible for him to dive before he gets his hopes up. Thanks for your thoughts.

There are 2 common conditions in Paediatric Cardiology commonly corrected by an endovascular/catheterisation procedure. This is different compared to placing a stent to open up blocked arteries in older folk with heart attack but similar.

1) Patent Ductus Arteriosus
-a coil is placed or some foam injected that blocks up the patent (open) ductus arteriosus which failed to close after birth
-if he he fit and healthy now, should pose no risk at all.

2) Atrial Septal Defect
-a device is placed to close the opening and the heart muscle eventually grows over the device and closes the defect

For both conditions, he will still need to be reviewed and examined by a Doctor.

A significant persistent PDA should be possible to rule out with a detailed history taking and physical examination.

ASD is a little more dangerous as a septal defect theoretically can increase the risk of an arterial gas embolism
-this may require more advanced cardiac imaging studies/ultrasound/bubble test to rule out definitively.

Your friend should see a Doctor to ensure fitness to dive.
-however,if he has been well and is fit and active, it should not be a problem.

cheers!

I have three, all pre certification no issues at all. Make sure your friend talks to his Dr. and gets his blessing as each persons health situation is different.

This question would be better posed on the Diving Medicine forum.

Your friend will have to complete a medical statement before engaging in training. He should disclose his heart issue at that time. It will require medical confirmation before the instructor allows him to continue.

A diving instructor (and, I suggest random people on internet forums) are not qualified to give a medical opinion on the matter. Those that may be qualified (MDs) wouldn't give approval or diagnosis to a third-party via the internet.

Stint? Stent.

It depends on what defect your buddy had and why the stent was placed. He needs to follow up with a cardiologist for medical clearance. Presuming he is in good cardiovascular condition a stent in and of itself would not be an automatic contraindication to diving. However, the condition for which it was placed may be a contraindication with or without the stent. Certain congenital heart defects would be okay to dive if they are appropriately treated and cleared, but other congenital problems are absolute contraindications even when treated.

He should contact his doctor first and also get opinion from DAN.

Rule of thumb is if you are fit enough to enjoy other physical activities you will be fit enough to dive - but as others have said, he will need his doctor to sign off on the medical.

Back
Top Bottom