Safety Sausage or Dive Alert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milehi

Reaction score
I was on a dive in St. Marteen last month and surfaced about 200 yds from the dive boat in fairly heavy swells . Had plenty of air left , but got me to thinking about if I was low on air or needed assistance . So I'm thinking of purchasing a signaling device . Which would be the better device , the Safety Sausage (visual only) or the Dive Alert (audible only) ?

I would recommend that you get a safety sausage and a simple whistle to attract attention. The whistle doesn't take up much space and can be hung on the bc and the deco. buoy, well, that has a lot of usefulness, besides making you more visible on the surface.

it is a sausage with no nitrites or nitrates, filler, or
meat-by-products. It is meat and spices through and through.

think SURFACE MARKER BUOY (bouy?)

Thanks, I figured it was a floater of some kind. How is it inflated? What size. What keeps it inflated? Maybe similar to a Riffe's trailing line float for spearfishermen?

Inflated by sticking your 2nd inside the opening and pressing the purge button (like adding air to lift bag). Length varies by manufacturer and model, but 5 to 6 feet is suggested so it can be seen over swells. Like a lift bag, it is somewhat impermeable to air.

What would you folks think about adding a wide band (or three of reflective tape to the end of your sausage to aid in spotting it during a night situation when the boat is using a spot light?

Also, do you think it might be a decent idea to add a small tube of sunscreen to your BC pocket? I'm thinking of the instance when for some reason, it takes a while to get picked up by the boat and with the reflection of the water, your chance of getting charred would be pretty drastic.

Shine your torch into the 'sausage' when it is fully inflated. This will illuminate the entire 'sausage' like a giant cylume stick (or light stick).

Back
Top Bottom