Safety sausage vs DSMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its not like they are gonna just come pick you up either, they will most likely still have divers down. You are gonna be swimming back to the boat if you come up far away from it. This is why I wear my snorkel, my friends make fun of me but they are better navigators.

Last weekend someone got caught in the current and was swept away from the group. Fortunately a DM saw her and drifted with her. The boat had to find them - there was no swimming back. The DMs safety sausage was definitely wider and taller than mine and even it wasn’t easy to see.

So the question is: besides an OPV and possible flapper valve, what’s the difference between a 72” D/SMB and a 72” safety sausage?

Oh got it. Yea sorry was confused thought you were anchor diving, if the current is that strong then we drift.

It actually was anchor diving! We drift a lot, too, but in this case the current was strong until we got to the bottom. So we descended on the line having to hold on, when we got to the bottom is was fine. I guess she missed the transition from the boat line to the anchor line, or let go of the anchor line, and got swept away.

Thats nuts, its a good thing someone saw her. The reel is the only other difference. Unless your deploying it from underneath the water I would axe the reel. Just something to get tangled in. I get tangled in my 400lb mono from my speargun sometimes, and thats only like 10 feet.

AP Self-sealing SMB with Inflation Cylinder | AP Diving

Or add an extra LP hose and get one that can be inflated that way.

Where I dive a DSMB is essential. Even people doing their first sea dive will carry one to inflate at the surface in case we lose them.

A proper DSMB (not 4ft) and a reel is a substantial bit of kit and takes up space or hangs off you in an annoying way. On the other hand, floating about for hours wishing the helicopter could see you is not much fun I hear.

That’s what I don’t understand, either.
6ft SMB w/ Whistle

Description says "ear deafening orange whistle" :rofl3:

never thought a cheap plastic whistle could be ear deafening, and generally not easy to hear with boat engines running and chatter from divers as they de-kit etc.

So the question is: besides an OPV and possible flapper valve, what’s the difference between a 72” D/SMB and a 72” safety sausage?
Besides the OPV and flapper valve, nothing. Safety sausages always have positively closed bottoms. D/SMBs sometimes do not, and are harder to get to seal on the surface than a safety sausage. They are different tools for different uses. In my opinion, having followed thousands of drifting divers and having had to come pick up thousands more, the D/SMB is the correct tool for letting the boat know you have left the bottom and you are (as planned) not on a up-line. A safety sausage is for when you screw up and don’t follow the dive plan, and find yourself on the surface away from the boat. The D/SMB takes skill, training or mentor ship, and the safety sausage takes a great set of lungs. The safety sausage is designed to be inflated on the surface, the D/SMB is designed to be deployed at some depth.

So what I suggest is that you get a sausage just in case you do get swept off, and get a mentor to teach you how to properly use a D/SMB, and use a sausage on those dives that you might get swept off, one that easily clips to a d-ring, and use a D/SMB on those dives where you plan to leave the bottom away from the boat.

Last edited:
So, DSMBs can be harder to seal on the surface...now I understand the recommendation to start with a dedicated safety sausage.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom