Safety Stage bottle duration submerged?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charge it, turn it off. then for test ill make sure there's gas in it, there's no leaks, and ill press the purge button, bubbles come out and then (critical point here) the bubbles stop.

Do you guys leave these on the mainline or off to the side? The guys I knew left them on the mainline, but the cave (Roubidoux) was infrequently traveled, and pretty much only by OCDA divers.

Enjoying this thread.

Though the agricultural google earth shot is shocking, wth are we doing to the aquifers.

OP good luck with your project.

Be thankful that was just the soybean fields. About two miles downstream from Cathedral is a Tyson Chicken processing plant. You really do not want to see the google earth images of the plant, the retention / drainage pond, and the cave system running under it. it's heartbreaking, especially when you also realize this system dumps into the Suwannee river in a couple of different locations.

---------- Post added December 12th, 2015 at 09:03 PM ----------

When you leave the safety in the cave do you charge it and then turn it off? When you test it, turn on, purge (or breathe from it?), turn off?

I'm happy to charge, hit the purge, turn off. One of my buddies likes to take a breath from them.

---------- Post added December 12th, 2015 at 09:05 PM ----------

Do you guys leave these on the mainline or off to the side? The guys I knew left them on the mainline, but the cave (Roubidoux) was infrequently traveled, and pretty much only by OCDA divers.

Main line we are traveling on so you can find them. "Safety"

+1 for mainline.

I'm a fan of putting them at prominent locations, too, like tunnel junctions, if possible.

If I lived in the States I would not buy Tyson chicken.

It depends on the cave. I was doing long survey dives in a river cave system a few years ago, and had stages and safeties depending on what the dive called for. The cave had old twisted#18, and I would never put a tank on that line due to its poor condition. I created staging stations in nonsensitive areas, and I would run a reel to it so I would avoid putting anything on that old line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom