• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Safety Stop Thoughts...

Discussion in 'New Divers & Those Considering Diving' started by namerg, Nov 12, 2014.

1. namerg

namerg Contributor

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    It is part of the literature nor a question.

2. AlexL

AlexL DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    the research that everyone seems to reference is from is a DAN international study done back in 2004. https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/default.aspx?a=news&id=514

the profile was back to back dives to 80'/25m for 25 minutes. surface interval was 3.5 hours. profile that resulted in the lowest bubble score was a 30'/10m per minute accent to a stop at 45'/14m for 5 minutes, along with another stop at 15'/4.5m for 5 minute. worst score was a 10'/3m per minute linear ascent with no stops. none of the profiles tested resulted in clinical DCS; they did not report on sub clinical DCS.

just got back from a Cozumel dive trip, with the first dives of the day down to 100-110'/30m; a single 5 minute stop at 15'/4.5m from > 60'/18m tends to give me a ripping headache afterward; adding a 3~5 minute stop at 40'/12m, a 3~5 min stop at 20'/6m, and then hanging at 10'/3m for as long as possible (first to the safety stop, last on the boat) alleviated the post dive headache/fatigue on the 100'/30m+ dives. its a super conservative ascent profile, but it works for us.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    raftingtigger likes this.
  3. namerg

namerg Contributor

Wow lots of comments on this. I have seen a lot the "shallow diving" phrase and also I the book. Can someone describe me with words or a pic, what does "shallow diving" mean ? I understand it like you ascent like if you were stepping on stairs...sorry my English is not my first language. Thanks a lot for your help.

4. AlexL

AlexL DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    'shallow diving' is just that, dives less then 40~60'/15-20m. anything deeper than 60'/20m is 'deep diving'. with shallow diving, you're usually not pushing that much ppn2, and your (no stop) decompression obligation is low enough to be effectively ignored; standard 3-5 minute safety stops at 15~20'/5~6m work just fine for those profiles.

you're thinking of 'staged' ascents; its a way to control your accent rate by going up by X feet/m, waiting for a timer to click over a tick, and then going up another X feet/m; repeat until you're at the safety stop. dive computers with ascent rate readouts have made this practice mostly obsolete in rec diving.

namerg likes this.
  5. namerg

namerg Contributor

Ohhhh okay okay. Now I know the shallow diving concept. Thank you very much AlexL

6. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Relax. All of your fellow students in the class will have the same questions as you do. If you are unsure of something after your instructor explains it, then ask for clarification. The course is designed to be very simple.

namerg likes this.
  7. namerg

namerg Contributor

Ohh ok. Thanks Lorenzoid. It conforts me.

8. Necklinsberg

Necklinsberg Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: 500 - 999

Your entire class -- book work, confined water, open water certification dives is conducted over 1 weekend?
    Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

9. namerg

namerg Contributor

Nope just in the pool.

10. rick00001967

rick00001967 Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    ^^^ i rarely hear others promote this. thx

Jax likes this.