Safety Stops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wolfie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just pick up a XEO and have been working profiles with Light decompression, gas switches, recreational, Etc.
As is customary proceedure I plan 3 or 5 min safety stops into every dive (past 30ft). While running a couple simulations I noticed that 1) I can have a 1 minute deco stop. (if I'm to do a 3 min SS on NDL I am NOT doing 1 min on DECO)
2) Plan is to surface directly from a NDL 100 ft dive.

I couldn't find a way to add safety stops?
Is there any way to program a safety stop in? I'd like to see
1) a Minimum 5 min DECO stop (or a way to add 3 min safety stop on top of deco obligation)
2) a 3 min Safety stop on NDL dives.

Just pick up a XEO and have been working profiles with Light decompression, gas switches, recreational, Etc.
As is customary proceedure I plan 3 or 5 min safety stops into every dive (past 30ft). While running a couple simulations I noticed that 1) I can have a 1 minute deco stop. (if I'm to do a 3 min SS on NDL I am NOT doing 1 min on DECO)
2) Plan is to surface directly from a NDL 100 ft dive.

I couldn't find a way to add safety stops?
Is there any way to program a safety stop in? I'd like to see
1) a Minimum 5 min DECO stop (or a way to add 3 min safety stop on top of deco obligation)
2) a 3 min Safety stop on NDL dives.

The Kaon is a recreational computers that enforces safety stops if you didn't incur deco. The Xeo, being a more technical computer, does not force you to do a safety stop if you didn't incur deco.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Hi Wolfie, (nice name, BTW)

Here is the deal on safety stops. There is nothing magic about 3 minutes. Those countdown timers on recreational computers are dumb, because they imply a level of accuracy in the deco algorithms that just isn't there.

Q: If your buddy drops his mask overbaord, and you pop down to 40' to get it. Should you do a safety stop, even if you were only down for 30 seconds? YES!

There are 2 reasons to do a safety stop. First and most important is to fully arrest your ascent in the middle of the final doubling in volume of all the air spaces in your body. Always do this! Skipping the deco stop entirely on a 'simple errand' like that is a great way to give yourself an AGE.

The second is to consider your situation, including the risks of getting bent and to make a conscious decision to surface when the time is right. In the case of the dropped mask, that might just be verifying your N2 loading is negligible and looking up to avoid hitting your head on the boat before going up. The whole thing could be done in under 5 seconds, but you should still do it.

At the other extreme, if I'm at the end of my second air dive, 12 miles off the coast of ecuador, and I know even the most primative medical help is at least an hour away, I might hang out at the safety stop for 5 or even 10 minutes beyond any manitory deco stop. If I have the air and I'm not cold or being pulled away by current, it's the prudent thing to do.

For computers that are used for deco diving, that countdown timer is a hazard, because it could be confused with a manditory stop. (or worse, a manditory stop might be mistaken for the silly deco stop timer and ignored)

To sumarize, there is nothing magic about 3 minutes on a safety stop. The main thing is that you 1: STOP and 2:THINK before you surface on every dive.

The thinking will tell you how long to stay there. The things to consider include: remaining air, current, N2 loading, in water hazards (fishing gear, boats, jelly fish, etc), manners (If I'm the last one down and they are waiting to pull anchor, I dont want to delay everyone) and physiology. (If I'm cold or about to pee in my drysuit, I'll come up sooner :)

You don't want the computer to try to do the thinking for you. It's just there to run a deco algorithm. (you wouldn't ask the speedometer in your car to tell you how fast to drive, would you?) A prudent driving speed is a similarly complex trade off of many safety and practical considerations.

I think Eric stated it well. The Xeo is marketed as a technical computer without a recreational mode and does not bother the user with optional, non-mandatory stops if a decompression obligation was not incurred. When used for NDL diving, stop at whatever depth and for however long as you choose based on the conditions Rwolf01 has described above.

If you want a minimum 5 minute DECO stop, then stay however many minutes past the last DECO stop to give you five minutes. If you want a 3 minute safety stop on NDL dives, then stop at 20 or 15 or whatever depth you choose and wait three minutes.

The Kaon and Lynx can alert you about an optional, non-mandatory, 3 minute safety stop as theses computers have a recreational mode that the Xeo does not have.

Back
Top Bottom