Safety Whistle vs Signaling Mirror Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd rather carry a whistle and never use it, than need it and not have it.

(those of you that are CHL holders, yes I replaced gun for whistle in the above)

I also have the DAN Surface Signal Kit. It contains everything all in a pocket on the rolled SMB, and takes up very little room when attached to my BC. I did remove the whistle from inside the SMB pocket, and affixed it to my LP PI hose with a zip tie. I'm not unhappy with the setup.

I've been involved in a search in rough seas for a lost diver with a whistle. We could hear the whistle but it was almost impossible to tell where it was coming from. All we could tell was that they had to be someplace near - which was better than nothing but not the best. In high winds, many inflatable signaling devices blow over. I've seen that first hand on a bad day. A friend gave me an idea that I have used very successfully. A collapsable shock corded tent pole with a LARGE orange flag affixed to it. It is probably 8 feet long when extended and can be seen from a long ways away when waved.

A yellow fin waved above your head will also work very well.

I'll put a mirror in my BC too. Better safe than sorry. If you dive long enough in the 'right' (or wrong - depending on your view) conditions you will eventually find yourself floating without a boat nearby. I want to be able to do all I can to help them find me quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom