SafetySausage Line Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YES ...

At least with the operator / locations I dive ... once the boat spots us, I've got plenty of time to stow the sausage before I climb aboard. ...

And yes, I generally just let the line hang below me ... total length is only 25' as that suits my needs.

I now have a reel so can launch from depth, but befiore i used part of a standard weight (which i found) and cut off part of it, the end of my 6m line is tied to the weight, and the line wraps around it for stowage. Has similar effect to the bolt snap on the end to act as a mass to keep line tight but also gives you something to wrap the line around amnd keep it out of the way

A std. safety sausage is better than nothing and should be carried for every dive. However, they often go unseen if you are far from the boat and the seas are more than 2-3. A SMB, surface marker buoy, is a much better option. It will stand much higher in the air and will have more surface area to attract attention. Most come with reflective patches to reflect radar as well. They also have the benefit of being launched from depth via a spool or reel. I used to exclusively use a spool, but after getting my glove finger tips caught a few times, I started deploying using a reel with 150' of line on it.

my .02

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom