Salvage Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

razorbackdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I met a guy last weekend that told me he would be part of a team salvaging a sunken house boat on one of our local lakes. I said that would be something I interested in observing, fully expecting him to tell me for safety reasons I wouldn't be allowed near the operations. Instead, he said he would have to talk to his boss and they we were always looking for more hands as they are a small operation. It is my understanding if they can get it on shore, the insurance company will pay them $9500.00. To me that makes it a commercial operation and I wouldn't think a recreational diver would not be allowed to assist. Am I wrong?

Don't get hurt and OSHA will never know.

There are dive operations that ignore OSHA standards for commercial divers. They have some gear and some divers and go out and do jobs. They usually get away with it until someone gets hurt. Then the questions start, what are the qualifications of their divers, are they insured, do they have workmens comp. They're not real particular about commercial diving certs. There are lots of businesses out there with this model, carpenters, electricians, boat mechanics. No problems until there is one

Don't get hurt and OSHA will never know.

For the first time I have no intention of doing anything more than observesing. Aside from the usual hazards of diving and lifting objects while diving is there anything else I should be concerned about. It is my understanding the boat is in 90ft of water and they will salvage it in two stages. The first stage involves lifting it with foam and moving it a couple hundred yards to a shallower depth of around 20 ft. Second stage will involve rigging it for about a 2.5 mile trip to the boat ramp. Thanks for any info.

Also the coast guard or the marine patrol who is responsible for the waterway may want to know the plan and have warm fuzzy feelings that the plan will work and that there is a sufficient back up plan so as not to make things worse

“Ship’s salvage is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures from inconclusive instruments, performed with equipment of problematical accuracy by persons of doubtful reliability and of questionable mentality.” US Navy Salvage Engineer’s Handbook

“Ship’s salvage is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures from inconclusive instruments, performed with equipment of problematical accuracy by persons of doubtful reliability and of questionable mentality.” US Navy Salvage Engineer’s Handbook

That can't be a real quote, can it? Is that prefacing a sentence saying the Navy should then, based on this information, avoid salvage?

Or is that the forward to a GOVERNMENT DOCUMENT which then details how "doubtably reliable" Navy Frogmen are supposed to undertake "vague science" with "problematic" equipment?

Sounds like a recreational diver fits the bill perfectly. Just remember...NEVER be underneath the boat when it's suspended above the lake bed :) and I have a feeling it will be a really awesome dive. I'm jealous, sounds like a great opportunity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it's a smart idea to observe the operation to see if it's something you'd want to "dive into". In my time I've seen small commercial dive ops range from super organized, professional, and competent to rag tag at best. Most fall somewhere in between, be careful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom