San Diego diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jan Dickinson:
I'm planning a dive trip to San Diego in August. Any recommendations on dive shops. I,m not interested in a live aboard. I want boat diving, kelp, and sharks (from a distance). Is a dry suit the way to go?

I see you are from WI. Compared to water temps out your way So Cal may seem warm.
Plan for high 50's at the surface going to low 50's at depth. You might get lucky and it will be warmmer but don't count on it. Must divers use a 7mm wetsuit. hood, gloves and boots but drysuits are nice if doing multiple dives. On a boat you might see 25% of divers in drysuits.

If you have a drysuit, bring it. It gets cold during the surface interval, but maybe you won't need it in August. I have dove in San Diego for over 1 year using a 7 mil. I have been pretty cold to quite fine. It all depends on conditions and your tolerence for cold.
I have seen Roy shivering in his 7 mil wetsuit right alongside myself :)

I haven't seen a shark other than horn sharks and angel sharks in over 100 dives in San Diego. They do have leopard sharks that swim around in the La Jolla preserve (the marine room to the La Jolla Shores) and some Soupfins in the kelp at the La Jolla Cove. Chances of seeing the Soupfins are low.... Leopards you can see snorking at this area. Here is a picture from a dive on 8/20/2004 at the La Jolla Shores where we saw a leopard shark during the swim out to the canyon.

You may want to consider going to the Coronados as well.

Have a great time!

Sean

I don't have many dives but I have only seen horn sharks as well. I say you should save yourself some money on the boat dives and take advantage of the good shore conditions. There are numerous beaches that offer all kinds of environments...kelp, canyon, marine reserve, etc. You definetly need 7mm or better.

If you have time, I would strongly suggest trying to get on the Horizon for a trip to San Clemente, if you can. It may be booked solid already. The Islands are the BEST. Yes, there is a lot of great shore diving, but you can not beat the vis out at the Islands. Even if you had to drive to OC or LA to hop on a boat to dive Catalina, do it. It's a whole other world out there, not at all like the main land of Sol Cal.

Back
Top Bottom