San Diego?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm kicking around the idea of coming down from San Francisco to San Diego for 3 or 4 days diving sometime in August, and doing some diving on the Yukon, and maybe even doing an intro wreck diving course. I've had a bit of a poke around on the web, and www.blueescape.com seems to be one of the better charters going in the area, that also offer instruction. My main concern is accommodation - I won't have a car, and most of the hotels near the marina seem to cater to the SeaWorld crowd, and are asking $90-$120 a night, which is a bit prohibitive for a lone diver. The first place I had in mind for accommodation was the Dana Inn and Marina, which appears to be right on top of where Blue Escape departs from. Anyone got any advice for travelling to San Diego? Any other recommendations for charters/accommodation combinations within walking distance of each other? And is anyone (or two or three) interested in doing the same thing and splitting accommodation costs??? Maybe get wreck certified together??? I'm thinking mid to late August.

I did two days of diving with Blue Escape a few weeks ago... I guess almost a month now. They run a great outfit. Both boats are pretty decent. We were tied to the Yukon and the Lois Ann was tossing around like crazy, while the Blue Escape boat was pretty steady with the outrigger contraptions. I did two days of diving with them, the first day consisted of the Coronado Island, and the second day was local wrecks (Yukon, Ruby E and some tower).

In any case, I had a car and stayed at a motel a few miles away. It was $59 a night and the car was about $39. It came out less than $100/day and I had the flexibility of the car to tour the city. There are a bunch of hotels and motels in an area called Mission Valley, specifically Hotel Circle. I stayed at the Motel 6, but all the chain hotels have an establishment in the general area.

Dana Inn is your best bet if you don't want the hassle of the car. The room rate sounds about right did you ask for the Blue Escape discount? The hotel is almost directly across the street from Blue Escape. But the street isn't like a two lane road. It's probably 3 lanes each way, but I think there is a light at the intersection. With gear it could still be a pain to cross.

Good luck, you're going to have a great time. Send a private messsage if you have further questions. I'm not a local, or the expert on the area, but I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge.

Ken

Thanks divernva,

Had a bit more of a poke around - found some Travelodge type hotels right by the airport for about $55 a night, which is a *lot* better than Dana Inn - which seems to have jumped up to over $140 a night on Orbitz. All I need is somewhere to dump scuba gear and my weary body - I'm going down there to dive, not for a luxury getaway :) Will also look into the Hotel Circle places. Just need to get some annual leave approved now :rolleyes: Looking forward to diving on the Yukon - my wreck diving has been limited to a sunken 40' yacht in Monterey (hence the interest in an intro wreck course).

Ben

Back
Top Bottom