San Juan, St Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua, St Kitts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pegger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
San Juan, St Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua, St Kitts are the stops on the cruise I just booked for my family in April. It would be of great help to me if any members with some knowledge of these islands could recommend what to see (attractions), and on what islands to see them on in particular.
Also, as we will only have eight of so hours for each island, and my wife and son are not divers, what are the best islands to dive. I'II probably only get to dive three times out of the entire weeks cruise so I'd like to choose the best.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

P.S. I'm troubled to learn most of these islands involvement with Japanese whaling!!

For St Lucia - there are loads of activities that you can do in 8 hours while you are on the island.
Try the sulphur springs and walk-in volcano (the latter being the only one in the Caribbean). There's also a rainforest tram ride located in Babanneau, which isn't that far from the port in Castries. It's a very gentle ride through the rainforest and you might even see the elusive St Lucian Parrot (which I haven't even seen!).
There's a few plantations around the Soufriere area - Diamond Estate, Fond Doux - that have guided tours around the grounds.

As for diving. Try Dive Fair Helen or Scuba St Lucia. I'm not sure whether they will meet you from the cruise ship, but they are the better of the dive operations on the island.

Hope that helps and have a fantastic time on your cruise!

Lottie :eek:)

What date is your trip? My wife and I (along with both sets of non-diving parents) will be celebrating our 25th anniversary on the cruise that departs March 30th. We are also looking for a dive or two.

My husband and I will be on this trip in April as well. We are definitely diving in Barbados. We booked through a dive operation close to the pier where we will dock. I think we will dive in Dominica too, but we don't have anything set up yet.

Hi,
I have been diving on some of those islands, in order of diving quality
Dominica excellent diving
St Kitts quite good diving
St Lucia so-so diving
Antigua diving not worth the boat trip

Out of the 4 if it was me I would dive Dominica and St Kitts. Dive dominica Dive Dominica, Dominica's foremost scuba diving & whale-watching operation. in dominica and Kenneths in St Kitts St Kitts Scuba Center Kenneth's Dive Center in st kitts were the outfits I dived with and I was happy with them both.

As lottie375 says St Lucia has lots of sight seeing you can do.
Antigua is a really nice island with loads of lovely beaches or you can take a trip to Nelsons Dockyard.

Dominica has some great sights to see the gorge and the aerial tram.

St Kitts has the old fort and some plantation houses.

regards
Doug

Hi Dartref,

Our cruise is on the 27th of April. Please let me know how your trip was and what your diving was like!!! I'll look forward to hearing your report!

Cheers,
Steve

What date is your trip? My wife and I (along with both sets of non-diving parents) will be celebrating our 25th anniversary on the cruise that departs March 30th. We are also looking for a dive or two.

Thanks DougY

That's great help to me as I have to plan my diving days in advance and it helps to know which islands have the best diving to offer. How does Barbados rank in that list?

Cheers,
Steve

Hi,
I have been diving on some of those islands, in order of diving quality
Dominica excellent diving
St Kitts quite good diving
St Lucia so-so diving
Antigua diving not worth the boat trip

Out of the 4 if it was me I would dive Dominica and St Kitts. Dive dominica Dive Dominica, Dominica's foremost scuba diving & whale-watching operation. in dominica and Kenneths in St Kitts St Kitts Scuba Center Kenneth's Dive Center in st kitts were the outfits I dived with and I was happy with them both.

As lottie375 says St Lucia has lots of sight seeing you can do.
Antigua is a really nice island with loads of lovely beaches or you can take a trip to Nelsons Dockyard.

Dominica has some great sights to see the gorge and the aerial tram.

St Kitts has the old fort and some plantation houses.

regards
Doug

Hi Pegger,
I did not dive in Barbados so I can't say. I was only in Barbados for a day but I liked what I saw. Nice beaches and some interesting tourist sites gun hill signal station (an old signal tower with nice views), Sunbury house (planataion house) welachman hall gully (Barbados Sightseeing: Welchman Hall Gully).

cheers
Doug

Barbados has some decent reef dives and some decent wrecks as well. It has a great shore dive called Carlise Bay. If you have time that would be worth it.

If you spend a night there pm me and I will clue you in on some night life.

Dartref-My mom and I are going to be on the March 30th cruise as well.

I'm still trying to decide which Islands to dive at. I was going to post a similar thread, but luckily I found this one first. I wish there were some more responses but I appreciate the ones that are here. From this thread it would seem that Dominica, Barbados, and St. Kitts are the best islands for diving...yay or ne anoyone?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom