San Marcos River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carlislere

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Has any of you been diving at Rio Vista Park on the San Marcos River lately? I was going to take my son down there to dive, but since I have not dove there in several years was wondering what the conditions were like now and if it was worth the drive. Thanks.
Ron

Hi Ron.

It has been a couple of years since Becky and me did the run from the tube rental to Rio Vista. We found the channel very choked with weeds and that tended to really concentrate the current. Still a great place to look for "treasure" but plan on adding a lot of weight to stay in one place.

A serious clean up of the river is in order, but we need a permit from USWFS to remove any vegetation.

I have not dove it in 3 or 4 months. I try to avoid it during tubing season but hit it afterwards to harvest the treasures. Last time I went, weeds were as bad as I have ever seen them but there are still some good holes and clearer lanes. I usually park in the area of the lower RR bridge and walk to the upper RR bridge to enter. Fairly shallow right below the upper RR bridge and again just below where the creek comes in from the south. It can be a bit difficult in those areas keeping your tank in the water and working your way through the weeds. I usually exit just above the walking bridge at the park.

I have also dove it in areas below the park on down to Cape Rd and stokes Park. Not much weed but there tends to be a good deal more current and entry and exit points require some planning.

Back
Top Bottom