• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Sandals Couple Resort in Jamaica?..

Discussion in 'Greater Antilles' started by MissBubbles205, Jun 3, 2013.

1. MissBubbles205

MissBubbles205 Contributor

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    I believe it's the Montego Bay Couples Resort we are staying at this July.. I will only be there for a few days for my brothers wedding, but really hoping to try to get out and do a dive on Friday..

Is this a good diving area?.. Someone was telling me sharks are bad in Jamaica and it kind of worried me. I am new to diving and this will be my first real dive since my certification. I def don't want to freak out on my first dive! lol..

Also, its 24 hours you have to wait after getting off and back onto a plane when diving, correct?

2. diversteve

diversteve always tired Rest in Peace ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Only back on. From DAN:

3. MissBubbles205

Oh awesome!! Thank you! :))

4. Linedog

Linedog Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    My wife and I dove many times in Jamaica and never saw any sharks, no worries.

MissBubbles205 likes this.
  5. MissBubbles205

6. leoconnor

leoconnor Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    The only sharks you are likely to see are nurse sharks...but you normally only find them under ledges...if you are very lucky, you might see dolphins!

7. fdog

fdog ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

We stayed there and went diving...

I didn't see any sharks on our dives, and we dove as much as the boat went out. Actually, come to think, we hardly saw any fish. We did see lots of fish traps though.

Also, the dive operation had a difficult time figuring out what to do with us. Apparently having clients show up with their own gear is an anomaly.

We still had a good time. Have fun!

All the best, James

Lorenzoid likes this.
  8. dvankirk

dvankirk Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    It was exactly the same at Sandals Whitehouse a couple of months ago. Not much marine life at all and we swam around in circles for 45 minutes trying to find something to look at. It was underwater, at least, and that is always a good thing. That being said, Sandals isn't a dive trip for me, just a trip that I might get to dive on.

9. BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto Contributor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Totally agree with dvankirk. We go every September to Couples for a fabulous vacation that just happens to include free diving.

We pick Couples over Sandals as it is a much better value and everyone is treated the same not by what room category you booked. We love Couples Negril as we were told the Negril side is the best side for diving and this resort is smaller and more intimate. They are prepared for divers with their own gear and have good lockers with locks included.

Also agree that there wasn't too many fish but we enjoyed just being wet. Our normal dive trip is Cozumel 2-3x a year so this is a different kind of trip.

Betty