Sangalaki or Layang Layang in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JHC

Registered
Reaction score
I've narrowed it down to either Layang Layang or Sangalaki this coming june. I've heard good things about both locations ie jelly fish lake, mantas, good coral etc.

Has anybody been to these 2 locations and can you provide some info to help me decide.

I've been to Sipadan, Bohol, Manado, GBR, the Coral Sea, Cozumel, Bonaire and I'm hoping it's as good or better than these places. I'm also coming all the way from Toronto Canada so I'd like this trip to be well worth the journey.

Thanks!

JHC,

(I should learn read before I post. I meant to say that I went to Lankayan in '03. Have never been to Layang Layang although it is on our list of places we want to go visit. Sorry for the confusion)

I've been to both places. Sangalaki in '02 and Lankayan in '03. Liked them both but the diving is quite different. Lankayan is more orientated to macro but Sangalaki has quite of bit of macro also but Sangalaki is all about MANTAS, MANTAS and more MANTAS. Also, the hard corals in Sangalaki are the most pristine that I have seen anywhere including Sipadan, Lankayan, Palau, Yap, Guam, Midway Island, Christmas Island, Hawaii and Okinawa.

If you go to the following URL

http://www.finsonline.com/

and click on Volume 3 (2004) Issue # 2 you will see a very recent article about Sangalaki and its nearby islands. If you click on Volume 1 (2002) Issue # 2 you will find a good article about Lankayan.

Accomodations, food and bar are very similar at both locations.

That said we enjoyed them both but if I had to make a choice between the 2 for a return visit it would have to be Sangalaki.

I'm sure you will enjoy whichever one you decide on.

Rickg

rickg:
JHC,
Layang Layang is more orientated to macro

You sure, LL is pelagics, especially Hammerheads mar-May (not sure about chances in June).

did LL April 03, Lots of big stuff, becuase the big stuff was there we didnt spend much time on Macro, although the guides did find us some harlequin ghost pipes and some other stuff like that. Lots of sharks (grey reef white tps black tips etc) also trevally tuna bara's etc, it was all good stuff and plan to go back next year around same time.

Sangalaki September 02 - We were spoilt only two of us for a couple of days then japanese couple for the rest of our week, imagine four divers plus one DM, means peace and ability to do what you want. At that time Sangalaki was being run by an american guy and the senior DM was a brit girl, both very professional and everything went to schedule. I know both of these have left Sangalaki and I dont know who has replaced them. I dont want to put down the locals (they seemed great guys) or what might be happening there now as i just dont know, just you have great time and managemtn etc changes its hard to say what replaced it. The Diving was great, its hard to beat snorkelling whilst 30 mantas are feeding on the surface around you. Macro was also very good lots of unusual nudi's, mandarin fish and pygmy seahorses.

Hope this helps

Albion,

Your correct - good catch. I must have been dyslexic when I read/wrote that. I've corrected my earlier post.

JHC,

Here is a link to a recent article about Layang Layang. Sounds like quite the place. Unfortunately I can't make it there during hammerhead season this year so will have to put off visiting there until another time.

http://www.diveglobal.com/explore_destinations/special_features/david_lim.asp

Rickg

I just came back from Sangalaki and I think it is great. I have not been to Layang Layang myself so I am not sure how to compare but Sangalaki will give you chances to see both macro and palegics. Kakaban Jellyfish lake is also unique and definitely worth visiting. I stayed at Nabucco Island resort and like the place very much although they are down to 2 DM currents so there were 1 dive guide for 8-9 divers.
Basically I was diving on my own with some other friends and let the DM took care of a couple of other friends who only recently started scuba diving.
I am embarassed to say that I must be one of the very rare people who spent a week there and did not see a single manta ray :-(
We had 6 dive days and was going to spend 3 days at Maratua, 1 at Kakaban and 2 at Sangalaki. The first day at Sangalaki, there were no mantas visible from the surface at all so we spent 2 dives around the cleaning station. 3 of 9 people did see one manta. We were scheduled to go back to Sangalaki on the last day but a storm front came in so we ended up diving just around Maratua instead. At Maratua, we did see several eagle rays, a large sting ray about 1.5m across, few reefsharks, a very large school of barracuda (probably 1000-2000 barracudas, at least) and lots of large bumpheads, turtles etc. Coral reefs around Maratua is better than just about everywhere else I had been to, may be with the exception of Komodo.

Mantas at Sangalaki are there but only on the rising tide. Was there for quite a few days and began to recognise some of them from the markings on the fins.

Only managed to catch a photo of one of them since they zoomed by rather quickly.

Another dive 3 swooped in and circled me as I was photographing a clown frogfish. By the time I prepared for the wide angle they disappeared into the blue.

Hi JHC,

I spent 1 wk in Sangalaki 2 wks ago, and spent 1 wk in Layang Layang in June 03.

Each place have their own merit. LL is mostly wall dive and big stuff. Sangalaki is a shallow reef, and lots of macro, and of course the famous Manta. I personally prefer Sangalaki, probably because of the macro photography. I felt that there was more varieties in Sangalaki. I think it is easier to look for stuff in shallow reef and calm water. But there is no Hammerhead sharks in Sangalaki. I also like to simplicity of things in Sangalaki dive lodge while LL is more closer to a hotel resort. Staff at both resorts are professional and friendly.

If you decide to visit Sangalaki, ask Putu as your dive guide, he is very good at finding the macro stuff for you.

Happy diving!

Pak Bahrun is an old timer there, quite a joker with great stories to tell. He also knows where some of the exotic stuff is.

Putu does have a keen eye for macro, and more socialble. Ontong on the other hand is more reserved, but has an equally keen eye. If you can get both of them on one dive, you will have plenty of shots to take.

For Nabucco, I believe it is Pak Medi and Rudi.

Rudi has more seniority since he has been longer in Nabucco. BUT Pak Medi has been in Derawan for a much longer time, and used to work for Derawan Dive Resort.

Rudi is quite an entertainer and has some interesting stunts around the channel. He has quite a passion for marine life.

Pak Medi seemed quieter but really knows the place like his own garden since he has been in the Derawan area since the begining of all the resorts.

Thanks for all the info. I guess I can't lose with either location. But I think I'll try Sangalaki.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom