Santa Barbara area shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhlee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm visiting Santa Barbara for the rest of the week and I'm wondering if there are any good shore diving spots around here that you would recommend. I have all of my gear with me so I'm wondering, if I get bored, if there are good opportunities to get wet around here. How does the shore diving around here compare to say, Monterey?

I'd like to avoid anything that would require too much hiking to get to the dive site.

thanks,
-Rob

Hi Rob,

Have you been diving in Ca. long there aren't too many dive sites where you don't have a hike. There are two in the southern end of Ventura if you don't mind a little driving. There's Deer Creek first then a little bit down the road there's Leo Carillo. Deer Creek has some stairs but it's right off the road & at Leo if you go under the fwy & to the right all the way to the end it's a short walk across the sand.

Happy Diving
John

Hi Rob, and Happy Thanksgiving!

For what it's worth, today's conditions here in Monterey are terrible and they're not likely to improve anytime soon. It might be a good weekend (at least here in Monterey) to stay on the shore and talk about diving.

J

I highly, HIGHLY, HIGHLY suggest Tajiguas. You have not done a kelp dive until you have done Tajiguas. I really recommend that site. Other goods ones are Butterfly and Thousand Steps. Check out the sbdiving.com link posted above, there's directions to the different sites.

I'd stay away from Goleta Beach if I were you :eyebrow:

-Francis

from my experience (i've lived in SB) there isn't much good shore diving in the immediate Santa Barbara area. there are a few dive boats that go out of Santa Barbara harbor though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom