Sardine Run 2007- Help needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just wanted to bump this thread up as i am booking to trip down in June to hopefully see some sardine action. Was there much action this past season? What are some tips and recommendations in terms of exposure protection and other essential

water temp around this time of year is around 21 - 22 Celcius or it was on my trip any way.

after doing some browsing online i read that the sardines did not run in 2006. marking the 4th time in 26 yrs they havent run and the 2nd time since 2003 that there has been minimal activity

ok. so the chances of seeing the actual sardine run are minimal any way. That is unless you plan to hang around for a couple of months. What is great is that during this time of year all the big sharks are on the shoal. So even if the Sardines don't run you still get to see all the sharks. Thats why I went and although we never saw the actual sardine run we had some awesome shark dives.

for the sardine run, although most people say they didn't arrive last year [2006], operators who went south to the port st johns area - www.scubaaddicts.com and walter from african water sports had action and are doing the same this year....

be careful of being sold packages based around the aliwal shoal and protea banks just because you can get other diving, if you want action then the wild coast is the place to go.....

does anyone know if there are many incidences of divers/snorkelers being inadvertendly injured by sharks during the sardine run? I have read of one report of a photographer named tony white being bitten in 2002, does anyone have any more info for me?

hi there, is africanwatersports (http://www.africanwatersports.com/) recommended??

i've got ONLY 2 short weeks. primary aim is to dive with the tiger sharks & sardine run. my rough itinerary as follows. is there any MUST DO land activities? Pls help to advice.

thanks in advance.

jovin-

ALIWAL SHOAL -TIGER SHARK DIVING
Day 1 (9 June)
Arrive Durban - Transfer to Umkomaas – Seascapes (Approximately 45min drive) Unpack, dinner and discuss equipement and dives.

DAY 2 - 4 (10 – 12 June)
Breakfast
Launch – Tiger Shark Diving
Snack on boat
Dinner either at restaurant or Seascpaes

Day 5 (13 June)
Transfer to Transkei (Approximately 4 hour drive)

Day 6 – 10 (14 June – 18 June)
Sardine Run Package (Unlimited diving on boat from 08h00 - 14h00)
5 days diving
SARDINE RUN ITINERARY
DAY TIME ACTIVITY
1 Late Arrival of clients. Discuss next day’s activities
2 06h30 Breakfast Hotel
3 07h30 Launch, Day at sea, snacks provided.
4 14h00 Return to base Nature walks, fishing etc
5 19h00 Supper Hotel
6 20h00 Discussion After dinner
7 07h00 Breakfast Hotel
08h00 Pack and leave for home
Day 11 (19 June)
Transfer from Transkei – Umkomaas – taken to Seascapes – unpack
Dinner

Day 12 - 15 (20 – 23 June)
Breakfast

DAY 1: SHARKS BOARD, GATEWAY – THE THEATRE OF SHOPPING
DAY 2: TALA GAME RESERVE, LION PARK
DAY 3: THE GOLDEN MILE – DURBANS BEACH FRONT, USHAKA MARINE WORLD.
DAY 4: ORIBI GORGE – WORLD HIGHEST GORGE SWING AND AN 80M SUSPENSION BRIDGE HANGING OVER THE GORGE.

Return relax and dinner
Dinner either at restaurant or Seascapes

Day 16 (24 June)
Transfer Durban International Airport

Jovin... want to adopt me so i can come on all these trips you are doing....

Please?

Mike Veitch:
Jovin... want to adopt me so i can come on all these trips you are doing....

Please?

Hey Mike, I'm also looking for a SUPER RICH sugar daddy myself. H.E.L.L.O....OOOOOOO, anyone out there :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom