Sardine Run and GoPro Video Lighting Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjgoodman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I'm heading to the Sardine Run and bring my GoPro. I've shot with the GoPro before but without video lights. I have spoken to a few folks who work for major underwater photography/video companies who strongly recommend I purchase two video lights. What does the group think? The dives are relatively shallow, so there will be plenty of ambient light. From what I've gathered from online research/videos with GoPro, I haven't seen too many lights. My goal is to take a solid video (not professional) and pull out a few photos.Thanks

Im sure lights always help but I usually go with only a red filter and i get decent color up to 70 or so feet.

Sample vid shot at roughly 50'

Sardine run...as in the east coast of South Africa?

A filter (for the proper water conditions) and lights will always help improve your footage. I guess sardine run indicates wider angle shots. If shooting wide angle from longer distances (particularly in murkier conditions)...lights may make less of a difference since they only reach so far....but may still help illuminate parts of the school that are closer. One other recommendation is to do some research on the best settings for the GoPro for the given conditions....which may also enable you to color correct in post-production

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom