SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19 and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, theoretically it is possible. Two possible scenarios: 1. You are young and healthy. You have mild lung inflammation from a virus but a lot of reserve. You may or may not have other symptoms, but from respiratory standpoint you will not exhibit symptoms until you get over your reserve as you would when you exert yourself.
Another scenario, is similar to asthma. Lung inflammation can make your lung tissue more sensitive . You may no longer have a virus, but for several weeks after you recovered you could manifest shortness of breath on exertion because of sensitivity of the airway. I hope it answers your question.

Preliminary results of 6 divers in Austria - does not look promissing :(

Attachments

• Tauchen-nach-Covid-19-Erkrankung_WETNOTES-36.pdf
    724.1 KB · Views: 161
If someone has a mild undiagnosed asymptomatic case of Covid-19 is there any way to tell?

The only way to know you have had it without having been tested while you were actively sick, is to wait for accurate widespread antibody testing to be available. Obviously that diagnostic tool will be directed at 1st responders 1st: hopefully!

Preliminary results of 6 divers in Austria - does not look promissing :(
THis is my concern. I used 'google translate' on this article, but think I got the general gist of it. My understanding is that people can have significant changes on Chest CT from COVID without significant COVID symtpoms. I have heard in Europe, Canada, patients being screened pre-operatively with Chest CT and COVID swabs - using the 2 tests together will increase senisitivity of testing. Also concerns re longer term lung function post COVID (although such a new disease, who knows). I guess a case of 'watch this space'

Would it be prudent to have a lung function study done for those who have had a positive test before returning to diving?

Would it be prudent to have a lung function study done for those who have had a positive test before returning to diving?

It would be prudent to be examined by a physician who specializes in diving medicine before returning to diving, especially since individual presentation varies so much. Pulmonary function testing could be one of the tests ordered.

Best regards,
DDM

Regarding studies of individuals that are asymptomatic but test positive...

There was a study of women admitted for childbirth in a NY hospital. Approximately 13% of asymptomatic women tested positive for covid but only a few eventually developed symptoms.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2009316

The military studied the crew of the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt.

“The Navy’s testing of the entire 4,800-member crew of the aircraft carrier - which is about 94% complete - was an extraordinary move in a headline-grabbing case that has already led to the firing of the carrier’s captain and the resignation of the Navy’s top civilian official.

Roughly 60 percent of the over 600 sailors who tested positive so far have not shown symptoms of COVID-19, the potentially lethal respiratory disease caused by the coronavirus, the Navy says. The service did not speculate about how many might later develop symptoms or remain asymptomatic.”

Coronavirus clue? Most cases aboard U.S. aircraft carrier are symptom-free

interesting and relevant article in the NYT recently that summarizes the damage that coronavirus can cause in the lungs,

Opinion | The Infection That’s Silently Killing Coronavirus Patients

the tldr is (@ the mods, if I'm breaching copyright by quoting this much I apologize and will happily remove it)

"The coronavirus attacks lung cells that make surfactant. This substance helps the air sacs in the lungs stay open between breaths and is critical to normal lung function. As the inflammation from Covid pneumonia starts, it causes the air sacs to collapse, and oxygen levels fall. Yet the lungs initially remain “compliant,” not yet stiff or heavy with fluid. This means patients can still expel carbon dioxide — and without a buildup of carbon dioxide, patients do not feel short of breath.
Patients compensate for the low oxygen in their blood by breathing faster and deeper — and this happens without their realizing it. This silent hypoxia, and the patient’s physiological response to it, causes even more inflammation and more air sacs to collapse, and the pneumonia worsens until oxygen levels plummet. In effect, patients are injuring their own lungs by breathing harder and harder. Twenty percent of Covid pneumonia patients then go on to a second and deadlier phase of lung injury. Fluid builds up and the lungs become stiff, carbon dioxide rises, and patients develop acute respiratory failure."​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom