Saskatchewan diver dead - Maui, Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I haven’t seen one of those masks, and too lazy to look it up, I’m thinking a full face snorkeling mask would add to the inherent snorkel dead space. I guess it is possible one can eventually get hypoxic to the point where they pass out and drown.
Yes, I think that is one reason they are keeping track of snorkelling deaths and the kind of equipment worn. The air-exchange rate with the full face mask can be poor, apparently. Plus, it’s difficult to get off your face if you’re in a panic situation. I have no personal knowledge of this — it’s just what I’ve been reading on the internet.

While I haven’t seen one of those masks, and too lazy to look it up, I’m thinking a full face snorkeling mask would add to the inherent snorkel dead space. I guess it is possible one can eventually get hypoxic to the point where they pass out and drown.

Since I have stayed in the Holiday Inn Express last night, I am quite positive you do go hypoxic. After you pass out and drown.

I got one of those full face snorkel masks for my wife a couple years ago. One of the warnings right in the manual was to not do hard physical activity with them.

My wife was using it and she saw that I was a bit far away from her so did some hard sprint kicking to get to me and had problems breathing with it. She said it was like she couldn't get enough air to breath and it was suctioning hard to her face making it difficult to get off. She did eventual end up ripping the thing right off her face and I helped her get back to shore. She will still use it but will be far more cautious about using it in the future.

It annoys me that they are selling these things to kids....

She will still use it but will be far more cautious about using it in the future.
Why? A well fitting scuba mask and a snorkel with drain flat is so easy to learn. I self taught using a cheap mask and a tube snorkel with no drain.

If you want something fancy with almost no dead air, get one of these: Fresh Air Snorkel - MoflO2 ™ | Snorkel Bob's

My wife was using it and she saw that I was a bit far away from her so did some hard sprint kicking to get to me and had problems breathing with it. She said it was like she couldn't get enough air to breath and it was suctioning hard to her face making it difficult to get off.

To be fair, I get this from every "dry" snorkel I ever tried. It's not specific to that mask. In fact, freedivers and swimmers use that on purpose when training. However I can see how in that mask, sucking harder will just suction-cup the mask to your face harder. Considering it's targeted to people who couldn't snorkel in regular gear, and if they get to 78 without ever snorkeling before... what could possibly go wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom