Sat Diving Article from Atlas Obscura

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Chris Swann’s fabulous ‘History of offshore diving’ he tracked the ‘apocryphal’ story of a guys innards being sucked out a shitter to the Westinghouse dam job in the late ‘60’s. that one about the jellyfish in the hot water suit is still ********, though...

(One of the more accurate articles, though..atlasobscura is a good site)

In Chris Swann’s fabulous ‘History of offshore diving’ he tracked the ‘apocryphal’ story of a guys innards being sucked out a shitter to the Westinghouse dam job in the late ‘60’s. that one about the jellyfish in the hot water suit is still ********, though...

(FYI for other readers)
@Oceanaut, Christopher Swann's ScubaBoard username, has posted two excerpts from The History of Oilfield Diving: An Industrial Adventure in the History forum.

Hannes Keller's 1,000' Dive

The First Helium Dives in the Gulf of Mexico Oilfields

A diver named Boone (Donald or Daniel?) was the diver injured in the hyperbaric toilet accident. He worked for Taylor Diving & Salvage. I believe it happened in the Late 1960s but Christopher Swann probably has more information. See:

What is Saturation Diving?, Post #34

CARTER v. TAYLOR DIVING & | 341 F.Supp. 628 (1972) | supp6281880 | Leagle.com

https://biotech.law.lsu.edu/blog/vol5.pdf

I'm pretty sure the source of the jellyfish in the hot water suit story came from early DUI hot water heater instruction manuals warning to use an intake filter. Somehow that warning of a potential problem became a sea story. I first heard it in the early 1970s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom