Saudi Arabian Tourist Zone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My question is less political: why would someone pay the equivalent of a few good months of diving in Egypt for a relatively short dive trip in Saudi Arabia? OK, if you're already there working as an expat and being paid well while having little to no entertainment I perfectly understand paying those prices. But to come from outside the region just to dive in Saudi Arabia? Maybe for the bragging rights...

I agree Helium is crazy expensive but everything else is pretty reasonable.

What costs have you compared?

Everything from hotels to guided dives to day trips on boats and so on.

Just came back from Sharm, they are happy to take 60$ per person for day trips on boats to Ras Mohammed national park, including 2 dives with their equipment. Lunch included shrimps and whatnot.

I loved diving Jeddah but then I was also there for Umrah so I had a good bit of time in Mecca. If you're not Muslim, you're not going to Mecca. Medina is a beautiful and welcoming city. Old Jeddah is a visceral experience of the past. Chop Chop Square in Jeddah will make the bull fights of Spain seem tame.

The geological formations in and around Jeddah are worth a day drive. There is a meteor crater about halfway between Jeddah and Medina that's worth a hike.

Is it a tourist destination nation? No. Is there great diving in the Red Sea? Yes. Is it a country and a people that needs to be visited to understand? Yes.

The food is amazing. If you've never had Al Beik chicken you're missing out on one of the joys of life.

A few dive buddies have been busy since I left Jeddah.

Lots of that UW footage is in the Sudanese Red Sea, not Saudi. It is the Sanganeb Lighthouse and I also reckognize the Sha ab Rumi South reef as well as Cousteaus Conshelf.
Yes, you’re correct. It’s a trip they planned but almost all the divers are based out of Jeddah, KSA which is only a short hop away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom