Save-a-Dive Case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HammerNoMore

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I've been using a small Pelican case for my save-a-dive kit for quite some time. It's amazing what I can fit in there with a little creative packing and it's perfect for travel. However, I'm now looking to create a bigger kit for local diving, somthing that will let me add more and larger items.

Looking for suggestions on what to package this bigger-better kit in. Tackle boxes and tool boxes seem to be the most popular items, and what I'll probably wind up with, but they can also be kind of cluttery.

Anybody have some unique suggestions?

James

I got a cheap "toolbox" from Wal*Mart as a last-minute buy before vacation. It worked OK, but I found that on a boat its main leak-point was where the handle was attached to the lid. It doesn't help that the handle folds into a recessed area that just loved to catch water. It took me a while to figure out how/why all the water was in the lift-out tray and none in the bottom.

When I decide to get a bigger or just different case, it'll be either a tackle box or a real dry box of some sort.

-Rob

I use a Victornox lap top case to carry all my reg repair tools and a good stock of parts. I found a plastic box with dividers at Wal-mart that fits one large compartment perfectly and holds all the specialty tools. I found 2 more retangular boxes with dividers that fit in the other large compartment and hold parts kits, o-rings, diaphragms etc. The rest of the generic hand tools, torque wrench, etc fit in the remaining compartment with all of the pockets for pens, mice, etc. (I made a small mod to this compartment and I removed the material on the sides of this compartment to allow it to open all the way out 180 degrees.)

It works very slick, looks nice and keeps every thing together and is much more durable and tolerant of being tossed around than the average tackle box.

I also have a magnahelic gauge in a portable tackle style box on the boat, but I'll admit that's taking the save a dive kit thing to the extreme.

DA Aquamaster:
I also have a magnahelic gauge in a portable tackle style box on the boat, but I'll admit that's taking the save a dive kit thing to the extreme.
I have all the hand tools and parts necissary to do a complete reg service in the little pelican case, but you're right, a magnahelic gauge might be a little extreme....

I've been very impressed by the Otterbox line. They're less expensive than Pelican, but the quality is at least as good. They also have *amazing* customer service!

Yes, I am resurrecting this thread. It is all Mo2vation’s fault. See he started this great sticky on save-a-dive kits. So of course I had to go back and read them all again. (And that is what I am going to say to myself when I wonder where the day went and why I haven’t done more.) :D

I have been trying to condense my SAD kit because, well, I hardly ever use some of the stuff in it and it is about to burst out of the box I am carrying it in. I am also trying to cut down on the amount of junk that I bring with me when I dive. My worry is that if I do condense it, well then I am going to need the very thing I took out to make my kit smaller! So do I buy a bigger box (‘cause there really is more stuff that I’d like to add); or should I buy another box about the same size for stuff that I am more likely to use on a routine basis? That way I don’t have to dig past all the crud that I don’t use to find the chapstick that I happen to be addicted to???

Luckily, I dive with a bunch of like minded people. We joke that we could probably repair anything or open a dive shop with all the stuff that we carry.

My UK drybox that I keep my stuff in is about 10”x 7”x 3”. This I carry with me everywhere that I take my dive gear.

Come on people, share, how big is yours?!?!?!?!?

I started with just a little backpack that I stuffed odds and ends into. Like most others, I decided I was going to get "organized" and I bought a little cheapo plastic tool box I found at the grocery store. Now I find it is not big enough!

As a suggestion, some of the bigger items (like spare hoses) can fit into a nylon bag and ride along in the bottom of my gear bag.

I modeled mine after a "Most trusted Dive buddy" of mine.

It is a bass Pro Shops Nylon tackle box with the indivual clear divded boxes. There are many pockets on the exterior.

In one pocket is a trauma kit including vaseline guaze for the thorugh and through speargun wound.

Other pockets include various squirt bottles of liquids: Bleach, Ammonia, Vinegar, Hydrogen Perioxide, Alcohol, and Saline Wound Wash.

I have the usual things that everyone carries plus some really odd things that makes people look at you funny when they realize you have them.. unless of course they need them.

Eric

Back
Top Bottom