Saw former VP Al Gore at Pennyroyal Quarry today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tammy,

Just discovered your posting

This is very very good...

Diving is certainly in need of a person of his stature.

It has been many many years--Since diving in the United States has had a public figure and never a ex-Vice President who also was a Nobel prize winner, to extoll the wonders of the "Underwater World."

In 1960 JFK announced that the US would be on the moon in a decade and established NASA. In January of the same year the US owned FRNS 2, reached the bottom of the Ocean in the Challenger Deep @37,500 feet. It was time for a wet NASA, but years were to pass before it became a reality.

When JYC began experimenting with the Conshelf programs (Not the Regulator) and a quasi international blackmail ensued...finally Comdr George Bond established the US "Man in the Sea Program" to duplicate and exceed the French program, and we did -- all was well until Barry Canon convulsed at 375 feet and bought the farm for all to view on the 6 o"clock news.. The US "Man in the sea" suddenly became the "Man on the dock."

Then congressman (Senator?) Lowell Whackler (Spelling?) (Thall- help! :idk:) entered the US diving world. In early 1969 he made a 210 foot dive off the California coast to examine a very serious oil leak. With that one dive he became very visable and for a short time the spokesman for the US underwater world and the powers in government locally and in Washington DC.

Since that time there has been a huge vacancy of high profile personages representing the diving world for the divers of the United States.

I welcome former Vice President Gore into the tribe with open arms..

Dr. Samuel Miller

Did not get to speak with him at all.

And you would want to because....?

He is an elitist hypocrite, an enviormentalist who travels with an entourage in oversized vehicles and private jets to his oversized homes. Then tells us ordinary people to conserve. Makes me puke.

Senator and Governor Lowell P. Weicker, Jr., from Connecticut. His assistant Bob Wicklund was a very active and well known diver.

I believe that Ted Kennedy, Jimmy Carter, and Bill Clinton were all certified divers. As far as I know Jimmy Carter was the only "active" diver.

Jack Ford and Amy Carter both took scuba diving lessons in the White House pool.

He is an elitist hypocrite, an enviormentalist who travels with an entourage in oversized vehicles and private jets to his oversized homes. Then tells us ordinary people to conserve. Makes me puke.

Oddly enough he was different when he was younger, he enlisted in the Army after college and went to Vietnam as a combat journalist, if I remember correctly.

As a Senator he was very approachable, he chaired a committee I needed info from in the mid eighties, when I phoned I was shocked he answered his office phone himself and took a cold call. He took his position seriously and worked to change some regulations benefiting the military, both active and veterans.

I guess Ted Kennedy didn't get certified with Mary Jo Kopechne. If they did he didn't follow the buddy rule.....

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Oddly enough he was different when he was younger, he enlisted in the Army after college and went to Vietnam as a combat journalist, if I remember correctly.

As a Senator he was very approachable, he chaired a committee I needed info from in the mid eighties, when I phoned I was shocked he answered his office phone himself and took a cold call. He took his position seriously and worked to change some regulations benefiting the military, both active and veterans.

Having been a classmate of Al Gore's at Harvard, I can attest to the fact that he was not unapproachable then. I had a close friend who went to high school with him at St. Albans and he agreed. Of course that was in his youth. I didn't see him again until our class' 25th college reunion where he and Tipper poked fun at themselves during our skit night by playing on his reputation as a "stiff" character.

I had no reason to. When around someone of any stature, I just let things be. I let them do their thing & I do mine. While down at the waterfront, I just assembled my equipment & got ready for my dive while waiting for my buddy to show up. There are MANY (most) things that I did not agree with when he was in office, but that is now relegated to the history books.

Back
Top Bottom