Saw something rare?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymancase

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Saw this bizarre ray on one of my dives last week. Just happened to have an MX10 handy and took some shots. Looked it up immediately when I got home and Humann says that it's a Caribbean Torpedo. An electric ray (NO! I didn't touch him :)), but not much is known about it and it seems to be very rare. Only one documented sighting on Grand Cayman as of 1997, I believe. It was swimming about 5 feet off the top of the reef in a manner very similar to a shark... back and forth swipes.
Anyone else ever seen one or know anything about them? Very cool critter!

I think it is an Atlantic Torpedo (Torpedo nobiliana). They are rare in the Caribean, but commonly found in the Atlantic Coast of the US and Canada.

Don't touch it!=-)
:snorkel:ScubaRon

Paul Humann's book says that the Caribbean Torpedo is a similar species to the more common Atlantic Torpedo - torpedo nobiliana. This ray was light cream in color with tan blotches while the Atlantic Torpedo is generally brown or black with occassional black or white spots.
And, not to worry... If I do see one again, I WILL NOT TOUCH!! :nono: :bolt:

Back
Top Bottom