Saying Hey, and asking for help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My REGs are a little tricky because the IP changes based upon tank pressure. There is a range for the IP from 300psi to 3000psi, and this is normal but it complicates things, a little. They seem fine but I would like someone to look over my shoulder.

understood. I have never looked at the poseidon line, but I do remember reading that they are significantly different in design. 300 to 3000 is definitely different from my understanding of the standard regulator intermediate pressure. In any case, I would think that the IP should be constant when the reg is presurrized but not being breathed (flowed through). I think you would do well to find a trained tech to talk with while inspecting the reg.

BTW where on the shore are you located?

went to school in chestertown, had family in oxford and still have an aunt on matthewstown rd.

dugout:
What's the point of the safety stop?

I agree. I was certified in 1987 and we didn't learn or practice a safety stop. And like you said we did practice the quick acent. My BC (which used to be a BCD) even had a co2 cartridge to rapidly inflate the vest.

Anyway, back to the safety stop. The first time I saw a safety stop was a few years ago on my honeymoon. I dove with a dive master and a group and he had us do that. PADI now teaches them in the OW course I believe. I think that it's kind of a contradiciton. PADI also teaches no-deco diving. Why would you even need a safety stop if your are no-deco? I think more than anything it's a way to help dive masters control a large group of less experienced divers and liability. Everyone gets together before the final ascent which may make getting on the boat easier for everyone. Also, should a problem ever arise with some extremely out of shape diver with a major hangover then the dive operation has covered one more base.

I always do a safety stop now - but not for any of the reasons above. I do a safetly stop because like you "I like to blow bubbles" I never want the dive to end and I can get a few more minutes to look around with very little air - safely.

Hunter

Hi Dugout,

Just was reading over some of the posts that I missed and I noticed you are diving on older posiden regs. I know that the 300 will not freeflow in a failure situation. If you are diving a 300 you might want to think about replacing it - also (if you aren't diving a 300) you may want to verify that if anything fails with what ever model you have that it does freeflow.

Good Luck.

coldsmoke;

Yes, I have just read through the current PADI training material up through AOW. Lots of contradictions... They seem to have omitted some facets of training while holding on to others. The logic appears disjointed, at times, in the big picture.

Poseidon 300s
I have used these regs for close to 30 years without a single issue. They have been flawless. Some of the rescue divers around here use them, as well. I have never heard of a problem with them. I have recently read the concerns you have voiced, posted on this web site. Have you, or anyone you know, had a problem like you described? I'm a little Leary of something like this when my experience is in direct contrast.

I do appreciate your obvious concern for my well being.

Dugout,

No - never any firsthand experience - just regergitating (how do you spell that - I'm better at math anyway).

You could team those 300s with another second stage that will then be able to relieve the pressure should there be a first stage problem and runaway IP. N

Back
Top Bottom