Scared of sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrobinson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
OK here's your chance to make fun of me at my expense...

I told my husband I would never scuba dive because I know I have a phobia (meaning it doesn’t make logical sense) so I wouldn’t want to put him, myself or anyone else in danger. One day I decided to try scuba because I’m landlocked and in colder climates. Well, now I am freak about diving.

I've been meticulous about following information about GW's because I’ve had a phobia of them since I was a little girl. I know I’d be very lucky **more chance to get struck by lightening twice** to ever see one in person. I know they don’t like to eat me… I know… but I’m still REALLY paranoid about them.

Now that I’m going for my first warm water dive.. I’m a little nervous about it. Any suggestions? (Again here's your chance to make fun of me at my expense...)

Michelle
Cold water diver - for a reason...

mrobinson:
OK here's your chance to make fun of me at my expense...

I told my husband I would never scuba dive because I know I have a phobia (meaning it doesn’t make logical sense) so I wouldn’t want to put him, myself or anyone else in danger. One day I decided to try scuba because I’m landlocked and in colder climates. Well, now I am freak about diving.

I've been meticulous about following information about GW's because I’ve had a phobia of them since I was a little girl. I know I’d be very lucky **more chance to get struck by lightening twice** to ever see one in person. I know they don’t like to eat me… I know… but I’m still REALLY paranoid about them.

Now that I’m going for my first warm water dive.. I’m a little nervous about it. Any suggestions? (Again here's your chance to make fun of me at my expense...)

Michelle
Cold water diver - for a reason...
Take lots of big knives

Have you thought about hypnotherapy?

SueMermaid:
Have you thought about hypnotherapy?
yes, and she said repeat visits are in order

I have heard good things about it for phobias. :)

JeffG:
Take lots of big knives

I'm in BIG trouble now - on the other forums!

mrobinson:
Any suggestions?
Several, but the first three probably wouldn't make you feel any better, so I'm going to jump straight to the fourth:

Rent "Air Jaws" (or was it "Air Jaws II"?), a documentary on great whites. Pay particular attention to the part where they're towing a fake seal specifically designed to attract great white attacks through an area with an unusually high concentration of the big fish. One after another, the sharks rocket toward the "seal" from below, and veer off at the last second as they clearly realize they've been duped, and the target isn't what they thought at all.

Once you get the idea in your head that these sharks are particular about what they eat, and disinclined to make mistakes, you might find more solace in the knowledge that you aren't a typical part of the menu.

Besides, you aren't going to see one unless you seek them out. I'm more sure of that than I am of you not winning tonight's lottery jackpot.

Peeing in your wetsuit usually repels them, unless you're wearing yellow fins, they can't resist them and fight right through the pee.

I think we all have some sort of security blanket or another. Check this out. http://www.sharkshield.com/.

It may help build enough confidence to allow you a few dives. After that the thrill of the experience should be enough to keep you going.

Good luck, and nothing is funny about fear. It keeps you safe!

Back
Top Bottom