Scared of sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw a special about that guy diving with whites off Mexico. The guy is nuts. I mean, I can respect his interest in learning how whites react to humans, but I just can't fathom having the guts to actually swim freely with them. I'll stick to the cage and camera.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will allow my fear to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone I will turn my inner eye to see its path. And where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
- Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965

molksmith:
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will allow my fear to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone I will turn my inner eye to see its path. And where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
- Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965

Im printing that out and tacking it above my desk

borninthesignofwater:
I saw a special about that guy diving with whites off Mexico. The guy is nuts. I mean, I can respect his interest in learning how whites react to humans, but I just can't fathom having the guts to actually swim freely with them. I'll stick to the cage and camera.

I saw that too, the old south african guy that went to Guadalupe Is off Baja.

The comment that killed me was after over a thousand dives with whites, he gets out of the water in Mexico and says in a broad SA accent

"....(long pause).... they look bitey..."

Dr Bill did the trip a couple of months ago and has some great shots. Im hoping to do it this year.

Bear in mind when you are diving that you are between 6 and 10 feet long, dependent upon your height , with fins, blowing bubbles. Most marine life wants nothing to do with you. I have observed sharks of various species acting in an aggressive manner around spearos, the usual thing to do is give the shark the fish, then leave. I know of no unprovoked attacks on divers, I researched this fairly heavily a several years ago when my wife and kids began diving, as they had apprehensions. They were not helped by one of my buddies who had surgical scars around his chest and back that looked like tooth marks, he of course told everyone that a giant great white had grabbed him....As everyone else has pointed out, shark sightings are rare, if you come out of the water on a charter and yell "shark!", you will be trampled by those trying to get in the water for a look...

doole:
In the water, statistically, you need to worry a *lot* more about box jellies.

Doole, do you instruct in Northern Australia? Not to keep bashing but doesn't the box jelly fish have a limited range and is only found off the coast of Northern Australia? That was my basic understanding that was published in National Geographic. I also found a link for Berkley about the box jellyfish. http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/cnidaria/Chironex.html

If I am incorrect, and you have other sources, please inform me, as this information will help protect divers and swimmers alike. I am open to criticism, but only if I am incorrect. :crafty:

adurso:
Bear in mind when you are diving that you are between 6 and 10 feet long, dependent upon your height , with fins, blowing bubbles. Most marine life wants nothing to do with you. I have observed sharks of various species acting in an aggressive manner around spearos, the usual thing to do is give the shark the fish, then leave. I know of no unprovoked attacks on divers, I researched this fairly heavily a several years ago when my wife and kids began diving, as they had apprehensions. They were not helped by one of my buddies who had surgical scars around his chest and back that looked like tooth marks, he of course told everyone that a giant great white had grabbed him....As everyone else has pointed out, shark sightings are rare, if you come out of the water on a charter and yell "shark!", you will be trampled by those trying to get in the water for a look...

I definately hope to get to that point were I will be one of the ppl jumping in. Reading alot and coming to grips with the unfounded fear :) You are all a big help.

>> Doole, do you instruct in Northern Australia? <<

Nope

>> Not to keep bashing but doesn't the box jelly fish have a limited range and is only found off the coast of Northern Australia? <<

As far as I know that is correct

>> That was my basic understanding that was published in National Geographic. I also found a link for Berkley about the box jellyfish.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/cnidaria/Chironex.html

If I am incorrect, and you have other sources, please inform me, as this information will help protect divers and swimmers alike. I am open to criticism, but only if I am incorrect. <<

As far as I know you are entirely correct.

However, box jellies do kill more humans than sharks, regardless of where. This is my understanding. Am I wrong?

doole:
>> Doole, do you instruct in Northern Australia? <<

Nope

>> Not to keep bashing but doesn't the box jelly fish have a limited range and is only found off the coast of Northern Australia? <<

As far as I know that is correct

>> That was my basic understanding that was published in National Geographic. I also found a link for Berkley about the box jellyfish.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/cnidaria/Chironex.html

If I am incorrect, and you have other sources, please inform me, as this information will help protect divers and swimmers alike. I am open to criticism, but only if I am incorrect. <<

As far as I know you are entirely correct.

However, box jellies do kill more humans than sharks, regardless of where. This is my understanding. Am I wrong?

LOL one fear at a time! The box jellys were next on my list. Yes Im a scardy cat. But I did a dive in Key Largo were we did rolls off the boat in a big mess of jelly fish. YaY for me! Baby steps. As chicken as I am you wouldnt think Im such an animal lover lol

Hey ScubaTwo don't feel bad, at least you aren't afraid of squirrels :) Those suckers are everywhere! I had my hand shredded by one as a child and don't even like them looking at me funny. I live in the woods and when my bird feeder is empty the squirrels throw themselves against my front door and look in the windows until I go fill it. Creepy!
Ber

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom