Scariest thing I ever watched.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT-Rich

Contributor
Reaction score
This was an absolutely fascinating series on the history of English cave diving. I away it was like watching the guy wrap himself up in a beltof fire crackers.... You can just imagine what is going happen, and then you are waiting to see him ignite...

This was either a really well done amateur film, or a rather dour BBC Program. Either way, it was fascinating watching some really terrible ideas evolve into the cave diving of the late 70s or 80s.

Here is a link to episode 1

Thanks for the link !

It is based on the book "The Darkness Beckons" by Martyn Farr (foreword by Bill Stone), which give a "history" of British cave diving and the development of cave diving around the globe. An excellent read... ISBN 0-939748-32-0... published in 1991. No, my copy is not for sale :).

I saw Martyn (wearing a very distinct drysuit) at Peacock Springs approaching Olsen Sink from Challenge Sink while I was giving some cave students a walking tour of the park. I grabbed two cans of Java Monster and hoped they'd surface because I was going to give Martyn and his buddy the coffee and say, "Welcome to your mid-dive beverage service." They still would have the traverse to Peacock I to complete. Unfortunately, they kept swimming rather than surface in the woods. I told Martyn about it later. He was so disappointed! He thought that would have been one of his coolest cave stories ever.

He's a good bloke.

I saw Martyn (wearing a very distinct drysuit) at Peacock Springs approaching Olsen Sink from Challenge Sink while I was giving some cave students a walking tour of the park. I grabbed two cans of Java Monster and hoped they'd surface because I was going to give Martyn and his buddy the coffee and say, "Welcome to your mid-dive beverage service." They still would have the traverse to Peacock I to complete. Unfortunately, they kept swimming rather than surface in the woods. I told Martyn about it later. He was so disappointed! He thought that would have been one of his coolest cave stories ever.

He's a good bloke.

Can vouch for that. Martin is indeed a terrific nice guy. Met him some years ago after a dive in St Sauveur (Lot, France) and had a nice chat with him, although I'm a nobody and he's quite a legend.

The first thing that struck me watching the video is that a woman is again at the forefront of underwater exploration. I keep hearing about sexism in diving, but early history seems to paint a different picture. And, Balcombe's wife was supportive of his efforts and willing to tandem pedal a bike 50 miles each way!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom