Scary divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joewr:
Herman,

I kept this list--you and I are on it--you, very prominently:

King Neptune 7-13-2000
Lady Diver 7-14-2000
Herman 7-19-2000
Rainreg 7-20-2000
Natasha 7-24-2000
Iguana Don 9-5-2000
BillP 9-16-2000
Greg G 9-17-2000
Dr Deco 9-20-2000
Walter 9-25-2000
rcohn 9-25-2000
John Reinertson 9-25-2000
Dee 9-26-2000
mario s caner 9-28-2000
Submariner 9-29-2000
Rick Murchison 10-13-2000
Warhammer 10-24-2000
scubadoc 11-16-2000
DEEPSEA 11-28-2000
Scubababy 12-11-2000
joewr 12-19-2000
Remora 12-27-2000
mattiedread 12-29-2000
NetDoc 01-20-2001

I think mario posted this list back when--we sure got on early. I cannot remember how I found the site, but it certainly did grab me.

Nice to talk to you again,

joewr

King Neptune is the same person as Ted S ?

One of my own personnel stories is a bit different, but there are similarities. Back in 91 I was out in the LA area for work and managed to get in a Saturday dive out at Catalina. This was my first time on the est Coast and I just wanted to play in the kelp and with the Gerabaldi.

Now I was a walk on to this boat out of Long Beach and knew no one at all. I had my beat up wreck gear and only needed weight and tanks. The boat DM matched me up with a guy doing photo's and we both got along fine, a bit of same ocean diving at times but I also did some modeling for him, we were generally within 30 feet of each other and never more then 30-40' deep.

Now comes the good part, after the surface interval the DM came up to me when I was just about all set to splash and it went like this:

DM: Joe Whatever his name is not making this dive. But you seem to know what you are doing. Would you mind keeping an eye on a couple of new divers? They will be making only a shallow dive.
Me: No problem, just give me my check back
DM:?????
Me: Well you just asked me to be a DM for you. So, I'll do it for the cost on the trip, after all Dive Masters either get paid or work for tips.
DM: I can't give you any money back (getting a bit pissed off at this point)
Me: Then watch them yourself.
DM: Then I don't have a buddy for you! (real pissed off now)
Me: OK, then I don't have one (I stand up and splash)

45 minutes later, after a nice run in 20-30' in the kelp etc. I get back on the boat and it went like this

DM: I'm reporting you to NAUI and I'm going to have your cert pulled etc. etc. (actually it was quite funny what he said, there is now way to pull a AOW cert and he showed he was a fool by saying so)
Me: OK, go ahead and I'll report you to the Captain for trying to have an unknown diver who you have no idea what his qualifications are be a Dive Master for you. (I only showed a AOW cert and he never saw me in the water.)
DM: Your unsafe! You went solo!
Me: And your incompetent

A lot more was said but you had to be there.

Pete

gomi_otaku:
This wasn't necessarily a problem with bouyancy control, though they were both doing their first dives in new deysuits and one had never worn a drysuit before. The problem was that they did no pre-dive check, didn't know what each other's air capacity was, didn't know any hand signals, and didn't know how to alert each other to their own remaining air, other than holding up their console for the other to read (not an easy thing to do) Keep in mind that this was a father/son team, and had just gotten certified together. It seems the father was probably just treating it as his "mandatory refresher" since he had been certified before, and the son just ignored everything because he (even his father told me before the dive) was headstrong and felt invincible. (gee, I wonder where he got it?).
Should I feel guilty about not having said anything before or after the dive? (I didn't really have a chance before, since either one or the other was underwater whenever I had the chance) Should I call the shop where they got certified and bought their new drysuits? (Underwater Sports in Olympia). Or should I just wait for a posting on Scubaboard about two fatalities in Cabo?
gomi_

Looks like their only dive goal is to become a statistic!:shakehead

I dive with the same bunch every week during season (Well season for me includes what I can get away with in a wetsuit...need to go dry some day so I can keep diving) and we always give each other the "once over" before starting just to refresh...we may get LOST in the quarry, but we normally stick together rather well (sometimes, you surface with a different buddy than you started with, but it usually works out..."was I following the guy with the black suit and the yellow tank? or the guy in the black suit and the yellow tank??:rofl3: )

My scariest moment was on a trip to vanuatu. My first o/s trip and I was the DM and tour leader (how much is 2000 vatu in Australian dollars). We were diving around a wreck with a good buddy system and a non penetration dive brief. I was buddied with the local DM (he was leading and I was herding) so I got to see everyone doing their thing. I was near the front of the wreck and turned to see a set of yellow fins dissapear inside the hull. I knew who they belonged to and looked for his buddy who was at the other end of the wreck. I then stuck my head in the hole to look for our wayward diver. The hole opened into a cavity with another hole at the other end and no diver. I took time to flip a coin, thought about what his mother would say if we came back without him and went inside to look some move. The next hole led into complete darkness. I only had a small backup torch (day dive in the tropics and no penetration) which wouldn,t find anything in that darkness.
With a great sense of relief he saw the torch and headed back out the hole. He had a torch but had it turned off for some reason.
Back on the boat I let fly with words of encouragement for his future in diving (we proffessionals all know we don't swear at the customers) and we all had a pretty sedate surface interval.

2 bad things with this.

1. it was day 2 of a 7 day trip and I had to see that diver for the next 5 days
2. he wasn't new or inexperienced. AOW and about 100 dives

The nightmares dont have to be newbees and they don't have to be inexperienced. They are also the ones with an attitude, a disregard for proceedures and believe themselves bullet proof.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom